Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Registered Nurse/ VAD Coordinator- VAD Team- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 194154
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Mon-Fri. Holiday/On Call Required
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is looking for a Registered Nurse to join the VAD Support Team as a VAD Coordinator!
Additional Information: This position is Monday thru Friday, Day shift, no weekends or holidays. One work from home day per week, although not guaranteed. There is an on-call rotation that does include weekends and holidays.
- The VAD Coordinator is responsible for care coordinator of patients who are recipients of mechanical circulatory support devices. Care coordination is complex and includes care of the patient across the continuum: pre-implant evaluation, assessment and education; perioperative assessment; inpatient management; outpatient long-term follow-up. The coordinator will be considered the device expert and provide advanced troubleshooting for staff, patients, and families. Accordingly, the coordinator will also be responsible for education of staff, patients, and their caregivers. The VAD Coordinator is the lead in a multi-disciplinary approach to patient care.. The VAD Coordinator is required to maintain the program quality and performance. This includes incorporating evidence-based literature into practice, updating and maintaining policy and guidelines, and maintaining program to meet standards as set forth by the Joint Commission. The Coordinator will also participate in research initiatives of the team and hospital, and support clinical trial enrollment.
- Care coordination of the patient throughout the phases of mechanical circulatory support: pre-implantation, perioperative, post-operative, intermediate care, outpatient
- Education and support for patient and families on mechanical circulatory support, including on-call responsibilities
- Technical support and troubleshooting for mechanical circulatory support devices
- Education and support for staff members caring for patients with mechanical circulatory support: physicians, nurses, support staff, etc.
- Quality improvement initiatives set forth by the hospital and mechanical circulatory support program
- Maintaining regulatory requirements as directed by the hospital and the joint commission
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Active Pennsylvania RN License at time of hire required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and 3+ years of relevant nursing experience required.
- 5+ years Cardiac Surgery/Cardiology Intermediate Care or ICU experience preferred
- 3+ years Experience Working with mechanical circulatory support devices preferred
- Experience Working in a VAD program or as a VAD Coordinator preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE