Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Pharmacist Outpatient - Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 189269
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Reviews all outpatient prescriptions and compounds and/or dispenses them accurately. Responsible for all inventory control functions, including purchasing, receiving, purchase order processing and maintenance of stock and records. Responsible for specialty medication new starts and continued therapy. Assist in the discharge of patients with the transitions of care program, myPennPharmacy. Develop, document, and execute therapeutic plans with patients and physicians. Assist patients with copay assistance. Counsels patients on their medication therapies. Oversees pharmacy technicians and students and ensures accuracy of their work prior to dispensing.
- Reviews written, telephone and fax outpatient prescriptions accurately. Interprets and checks for drug
- allergies, correct dosages, drug interactions, polypharmacy, etc. Compounds and dispenses all pharmaceutical
- products accurately.
- Responsible for counseling patients on their medication therapies and food/drug interactions. Provides
- clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners. Effectively provides drug information to physicians,
- nurses, and other hospital personnel.
- Assists in the supervision of pharmacy technicians and students. Ensures the accuracy of their work
- prior to dispensing.
- Completes work assignments efficiently and effectively. Adheres to daily work schedule with regard to
- opening, closing, and lunch assignments.
- Responsible for maintaining a current State of Pennsylvania licensure and for obtaining the necessary
- continuing education credits. Maintains a current knowledge of all advancements related to pharmacy practice
- through readings, hospital-sponsored programs, off-premises programs, etc.
- Responsible for all inventory control functions, ordering, receiving, control and documentation of
- controlled substances, rotates stock to ensure use before expiration date. Documents all recalled drugs and
- actions taken.
- Maintains records of all workload figures and prepares various monthly reports as required.
- Investigates and corrects all billing errors with PBMs. Prepares daily report of cash receipts.
- Participates in quality control and performance improvement activities, performs clinical interventions
- and monitors patient therapies.
- Uses effective interpersonal skills in all interactions. Demonstrates ability to interact effectively with
- patients, physicians, co-workers, visitors, and all levels of hospital personnel. Shows, courtesy, compassion,
- sensitivity and respect.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs duties and exhibits behaviors consistent with the care philosophy of Pennsylvania Hospital.
- Current Registered Pharmacist license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Pharmacy or PharmD degree from an ACPEaccredited school of pharmacy or equivalent required.
- Prior outpatient pharmacy experience preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE