Job ID: 193695
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full Time
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Job Title: Surgical Services Associate
Department: Surg Outpt SONC
Location: Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine-3400 Civic Center Blvd
Hours: Full Time
• Greets, screens, schedules and directs patients in a prompt, positive, pleasant, and helpful manner at all times even in
the most adverse circumstances; acts as primary point of contact for assigned patients.
• Retrieve and process incoming medical records/images, ensure scanning and physician review is completed. Ensure diagnostic testing and other evaluations are completed before visit.
• Assists attending physician and/or APP with patient relations and scheduling during outpatient office hours including traveling to clinic location when necessary.
• Provides coverage for practice team members during absences and/or staffing shortages.
• Schedules required procedures and OR for patients at attending physician’s direction.
• Coordinates all procedures that need to occur prior to scheduling surgery, including but not limited to the scheduling of ancillary tests, pre-operative testing, obtaining x-rays, scans, MRIs, lab results, EKGs for completion of pre-op packages.
• Responsible for the timely submission and posting of operative cases to the OR grid, accuracy of information and correct forms completed and signed.
• Process medication refill request, triaging to appropriate staff.
• Coordinates and schedules cases with medical equipment representatives as required in the OR.
• Communicates underutilization of OR block time in a timely manner to manager for appropriate redistribution.
• Answer and screen all phone calls; responds to patient inquires and/or problems in timely fashion or takes appropriate messages/delegate to appropriate staff.
• Maintain multiple calendars/schedules, surgery schedule, office hours and meetings.
• Schedule travel and lodging for physician as well as completing submission of expenses for travel, subscriptions,
memberships and books for re-imbursements in a timely fashion.
• Complete prior authorizations for medications.
• Complete medical record request
• Create/Edit and distribute letters per attending physician direction
• Proficient in the use of all systems necessary for practice operations
• Ensure that all operative reports and encounter forms are turned in for billing within the designated timeframes.
• Maintains comprehensive knowledge of reimbursement coverage from third party payers, managed care plans and
protocols for referrals.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.