Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Radiation Therapist - Per Diem - HUP
Job ID: 194217
Category: Radiation Therapy/Radiation Oncology
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Under the direction of the Radiation Manager Supervisor or Therapy Lead, the Radiation Therapist works with the clinical physicists, dosimetrist and other therapists as part of a treatment team. Staff therapists are proficient in many departmental functions, primarily the accurate and safe delivery of daily radiation treatments. Proficiency is achieved by various rotations on all treatment units, plus adequate exposure to CT simulation.
- Patient Care and Education: Explains radiation procedures thoroughly to the patient and reinforces physician’s directives to the patient regarding reaction to treatments and their care. Verifies patient information including name, DOB, and photo to ensure the correct patient is treated. Transfers patient safely to treatment couch giving special care to catheters, IV’s, etc. Provides for patients' physical needs during their stay in the department to ensure continued support and maintenance of radiation safety measures. Provides emotional support and general information to patients when appropriate, following departmental guidelines for confidentiality. Escalates concerns to interdepartmental staff (RN, MD, etc.) when deemed necessary. Visualize and evaluates the condition of the treatment area to determine special precautions are required, reporting alarm conditions, e.g., moist desquamation, skin breakdown, sore throat, etc. to appropriate personnel. Observes patients' mental health status and attitude for any changes and report to appropriate personnel.
- Procedure Preparation/Patient Preparation: Prepares room and equipment for patient treatment according to prescription and special instructions regarding immobilization devices, field size, treatment distance, shielding, etc. Ensures room is sufficiently stocked with supplies at the end of the day. Reports to appropriate personnel when supplies are low.
- Procedure Execution: Ensures proper and current forms are reviewed and signed by patient and physician. Aides in patient undressing, assuring that appropriate area is covered with patient gown. Attaches restraining, protective diagnostic and/or monitoring devices properly to the patient prior to treatment. Positions patients according to instructions, using devices needed to ensure accurate delivery of treatment. Checks and initials therapy chart for prescription with staff MD’s signature, and signed consent form. Checks therapy chart for physics approval. Performs simulation procedures following techniques and guidelines used in the department. Follows departmental procedure for monitoring patient dosimetry for TLDs. Follows departmental policy for treating TBI, TSE, SBRT patients.
- Machine and Equipment Operations: Operates machinery correctly, following all safety rules. Dismantles, cleans, and stores equipment according to departmental standards and procedures. Manages film treatment fields every 5 – 7 treatments. Evaluates and discuss with the physician any changes to be made in treatment fields. Monitors equipment during operation to ensure it is properly functioning. Stores and/or disposes of contaminated or expired material according to departmental procedures. Performs safety inspections and/or tests as required to ensure safety standards are met. Checks treatment room supplies to assure their proper status for emergency situations. Recognizes when a situation is critical, requires immediate attention, and calls the nurse and/or physician. Initiates correct calls or contacts appropriate resources needed to provide or obtain emergency services according to departmental procedures. Provides emergency assistance as required and/or directed by the appropriate authority or emergency team leader. Schedules treatments effectively, minimizing delays but allowing sufficient time for contingencies. Assigns scheduling priorities according to the patient condition or timing of the request. Communicates schedules or rescheduling to patients and appropriate personnel promptly. Maintains and checks daily billing and reviews the accuracy of the information for official daily reports. Accurately documents in patient’s radiation therapy chart daily treatment given. Documents details of decisions and actions with accuracy for future reference. Takes photographs of patients' treatment set up where applicable (e.g., electron setups). Administers IV contrast as prescribed by the physician in accordance with the policies, procedures, and competencies established for CT Simulation. Pours electron blocks as needed.
- Work Organization and Coordination: Schedules time effectively by assigning priorities to daily and weekly activities. Avoids crisis through systematic planning and follow through. Develops and maintains contacts with others to effectively plan and coordinate interrelated activities. Maintains efficient work flow by making timely request to others and responding quickly to request. Transports patients safely and as comfortably as possible in and out of the treatment room.
- Problem Solving: Recognizes problems, potential problems and reports them promptly to supervisor. Takes corrective action immediately when appropriate and uses resources available to provide assistance in resolving problems. Recommends alternative solutions when possible.
- Information Exchange: Presents information, explains procedures and various routines clearly and explicitly to ensure understanding. Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately answer questions or obtain needed information. Maintains confidentiality in communications as appropriate and in accordance with hospital policy.
- Independence/Tenacity: Works without close supervision and originates ideas or activities that effectively influence events or positively impacts goal achievement. Keeps supervisor and peers informed as appropriate and necessary. Seeks advice and information in situation outside personal expertise, as required. Actively explores circumstances that interfere with goal attainment and make appropriate recommendations as required. Pursues goals until they are achieved or their attainment in no longer reasonable.
- Amer Registry Radiologic Tech (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE