Job ID: 195140
Category: Quality/Performance Improvement
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Senior Improvement Advisor is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating the quality, patient safety, and operational performance program of service lines and departments. The Senior Improvement Advisor serves as a change-agent for entity-wide service lines and departments, and supports teams connected to those areas. The Senior Improvement Advisor provides partners with the most current PI methods and tools, including project management support. The Senior Improvement Advisor mentors and coaches local team Improvement Advisors, providing support and experience for local process improvement when needed. This work includes, but is not limited to, facilitation of PI projects and kaizen events; management and surveillance of data for PI opportunities; messaging trends in the data to leadership, departments and staff; training and mentorship to entry-level Improvement Advisors; education of front line staff in the latest PI methods; and responding to serious safety events. This position is accountable for facilitating improvement in the areas of patient satisfaction, clinical quality, and patient safety, operations, and continuous survey readiness.
1. Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Mentoring, teaching, and coaching teams, providing feedback, support, and direction as needed.
• Provide departments, service lines, and partners with the most current PI methods, assisting in seeking areas for improvement and the facilitation of projects.
• Able to competently evaluate the quality, patient safety, and overall performance of selected departments and service lines.
• Facilitates improvement activities to insure safe, effective, and compliant patient services.
• Maintains and models organization’s Core Values.
2. Planning & Facilitation
• Helps teams plan and stay organized
• Sets pace for team projects
• Keeps teams on track in PI cycle and project timelines
• Actively assists with planning and implementing PI strategies for the entity
• Collaborates with leadership & frontlines to effectively prioritize problem solving
• Keeps focus on processes, not people
•Promptly investigates serious safety events and quality concerns
•Provides PI support for process redesign after a serious event
•Applies PI methods and tools appropriately
•Provides PI support for continuous survey readiness as needed
4.Coaching, Mentoring & Teaching
•Is a PI teacher for multiple levels of the entity
•Asks insightful questions
•Challenges teams and leaders to improve their PI work
•Is clear & concise, makes learning points understood
•Gives useful feedback
5.Influence & Relationships
• Strong ability to network
• Can build and support a team
• Has a positive internal customer focus
• Can persuade effectively Accountabilities
• Engages stakeholders
• Is a voice people listen to
• Is viewed as a PI resource for the entity
• Helps teams and leadership access useful data
• Helps the organization understand trends, the meaning of data, and how it compares to benchmarks
• Brings tools to teams and leadership that are useful for data analysis and dissemination
• Is effective in disseminating information
• Maintains data integrity & validity
•Seeks out opportunities to improve the patient experience.
•Can motivate teams and create customer loyalty and satisfaction.
•Inspires, leads, and builds high-energy and productive work teams.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.