This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 194901
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Pennsylvania Hospital, located at 800 Spruce Street, is searching for a Unit Clerk to join their growing psychiatric team! This opportunity is a 7a-7:30p shift.
6 Spruce is an 18-bed secure inpatient unit at Pennsylvania Hospital that provides comprehensive psychiatric treatment for adult patients with mood and anxiety disorders and geriatric patients 60 years and older with all types of psychiatric illnesses. The unit also specializes in treating patients whose psychiatric illnesses are complicated by active medical problems. The goal of treatment on 6 Spruce is to treat and stabilize patients and discharge them to appropriate outpatient care.
Multidisciplinary Treatment Team:
A treatment team consisting of psychiatrists, resident physicians, psychologists, nurses, social workers, occupational therapists and medical consultants cares for patients on 6 Spruce. The patients and their families are a part of the treatment team and have maximum input into their treatment plan. Patients meet daily with members of the team to discuss progress and goals of treatment.
The group program is designed to provide patients with education and skills that allow them to successfully manage their illness outside of the hospital environment. Some examples of groups offered are:
·Medication Education Group
·Coping Skills Group
Medication management and Electroconvulsive therapy treatments are also offered in addition to individual and group therapy.
• Welcomes and greets patients and visitors to the unit. Assists visitors find patient rooms, staff members and other resources; Demonstrates professional communication skills when speaking with patients, visitors, nursing staff, physicians, volunteers and personnel from other departments; Answers the phone promptly using proper telephone etiquette. Identifies self and unit. Refers phone calls to appropriate person and is reliable with messages; Facilitates transport of patients at discharge; Facilitates the patient belongings process as needed, including that the handoff of belongings occurs at admission, transfer and discharge; Facilitates calls to physician on behalf of nurses, avoiding duplication
• Answers call bells in a timely manner and communicates needs to responsible staff, or handles themselves if a simple request. Follow-up to ensure that call bells have been addressed; Sets up follow-up appointments for high-risk patients after discharge; Checks e-mails regularly and posts items at the request of nursing leadership; Communicates patient and unit information to the RN and interdisciplinary care team in a timely manner.
• Seeks help and/or clarification from the RN/Nurse Manager or Clinical Director when needed; Informs the RN when experiencing difficulty completing an assignment; Receives report and clarifies information as needed; Accepts assignments and performs as a team member; Reinforces information to patients and family when appropriate.
• Places correct labels on all paper chart forms (front and back). Ensures all chart forms are properly labeled; Adds blank forms to charts as needed. Keeps charts neat and pages secure (reinforced); Maintains charts in accordance with relevant policy & procedure for sequence. Neatly files any remaining paper chart forms into their appropriate location; Thins charts as needed per policy & procedure. Prepares charts for admission, transfer and discharge.
• Prints Discharge documents upon request and puts chart copy in chart; prepares education packets at request of nurses to use in their patient teaching; Facilitates record requests from or to entity or other facilities as needed; Assists with metrics and reporting requirements that may arise, for example recording quality improvement information onto logs or printing workflow reports.
• Electronic Order Management and Order Processing; Provides accurate and timely processing of Orders; Monitors frequently for new alerts and other new items on electronic work; Facilitates the patient schedule. Coordinates when there are multiple tests ordered and keeps track of patient location; Monitors specialty bed ordering and discontinuation when patient no longer needs; Manages pending admissions, discharges and transfers, conferring with RN or charge nurses on bed assignment; Prints or copies records for patient transfer to another institution when case management is not available.
• Uses the Soarian Financial Application to enter Admissions, Transfers, Discharges, Service Updates, status updates (outpatient to observation status for example), Patient Location management, and other ADT functions as needed and in a timely manner; Maintains census logs; Ensures the Consent for Hospital Care is obtained and entered properly (scanned) into the patient chart; Ensures all patients are signed up in MyPennMedicine; Management of Unit Environment
• Orders, picks up, and restocks supplies and equipment from Store Room, Central Supply or outside vendor as requested. Returns equipment to appropriate department as needed; Plans, organizes and executes routine maintenance and storage of office supplies, including printers; Maintains supply of needed forms, patient handbook, downtime forms; Assists others in keeping the nurse/work station organized and maintaining common spaces.
• Contacts the Help Desk on behalf of staff and initiates tickets; Maintains equipment in working order. Uses equipment appropriately, follows Department policies for equipment and supply use, cleaning and maintenance; Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new staff; Attends staff meetings on a regular basis; Attends assigned committee meetings and contributes to the committees; Supports all appropriate programs: Magnet®, iCare values, Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification, and Nursing Councils. Performs job duties in accordance with these standards; Performs assigned duties to maintain unit in a state of survey readiness and maintain quality initiatives. For example, maintain patient privacy and confidentiality adhering to HIPPA, nurse station area cleanliness, etc.; Adheres to unit programs to support patient care such as maintaining a quiet environment, customer service, etc.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.