This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 194948
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Pennsylvania Hospital is searching for an Echo tech to join their growing team ! The hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm plus rotating call (weeknights, weekends and holidays).
This position may be filled as an Echo Tech I or an Echo Tech II.
The Echo Technologist II is a Technologist that practices as a fully oriented/trainer partner on the health care team and consistently demonstrates safe practice within the organizational professional practice model. The Echo Technologist II exhibits UPHS organizational behavioral competencies which reflect its mission and are embedded in the professional practice competency domains.
Clinical Judgement & Decision Making: Ways in which employees come to understand the problems, issues, or concerns of our industry professionals and interprofessional practitioners, and our clients and their families, to attend to important information and to respond in concerned and involved ways.
Employee-Client Relationship: The Technologist recognizes the patient (or the patient's designee) as the source of control and a full partner in providing compassionate and coordinated care based on respect for the patient's preferences, values, and needs. Relationship that extends beyond baseline duties to integrate the particular medical professional's informational needs as well as the client's response and his/her religious/spiritual, ethnic, and cultural belief into educational concerns.
Clinical Leadership: The Technologist effectively collaborates and applies innovative, systems thinking to engage in systematic, evidence-based problem solving, decision making to promote effective changes, supports the development of others, and creates a practice climate of responsiveness and learning. This area involves both outside the department, inside the department, and our students.
Clinical Scholarship: The Technologist evaluates and integrates best current evidence with clinical expertise and patient and family preferences and values for the delivery of optimal health care and system effectiveness. Demonstrates critical thinking and response-based practice.
The incumbent will be responsible for performing highly skilled, specialized non-invasive tests used to diagnose cardiological abnormalities and conduct M-Mode, 2-D, Doppler echocardiogram and color flow Doppler studies. Studies are performed across multiple settings including inpatient hospital and outpatient practices, satellite laboratories, patient rooms, intensive care units, ER, OR, procedural areas and all other areas in scope. You will work with physicians and notify attending of EKG changes, or Doppler/echo findings requiring immediate action. Also, assist physicians with transesophageal echocardiograms, and perform exercise stress and pharmacologic stress echocardiograms. Accurate analysis and evaluation of all studies will be provided to interpreting physician for review. On call is required for this role. Will fulfill responsibility to Pennsylvania Hospital by adherence to hospital and department policies and procedures while pursuing goals for professional growth.
• The Echo Technologist II is an active member of a committee. The Technologist demonstrates how its practice impacts the organizational vision, mission, and goals and the care delivery system. The Technologist complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies.
• The Echo Technologist II independently provides patient care through the application of the department specific processes and accepts accountability for the care of assigned patients. Assigned patients may range in age from infancy to the elderly.
• The Echo Technologist II demonstrates within the competency domains of Clinical judgment & decision making, employee-client relationship, clinical leadership and clinical scholarship.
• Performs studies according to ASE, IAC, regulatory, hospital and department guidelines, using skilled techniques and equipment operation to ensure accurate results. Determines appropriate views; modified studies according to cardiac abnormalities detected; conducts primary readings; notifies attending physicians of EKG changes, or Doppler/echo findings requiring immediate action. Analyzes and evaluates results of studies for review by interpreting physician.
• Provides accurate, complete, and comprehensive documentation in patient record n compliance with ASE, IAC, regulatory, and hospital policy requirements.
• Performs routine equipment checks according to lab policy to prevent possible equipment malfunctions. Ensure that equipment and all peripherals are stored appropriately on echo machine to prevent breakage of cables/transducers at all times. Performs minor maintenance on instruments. Sterilizes and stores equipment per policies, regulations, etc. Prepares necessary supplies and sets up echocardiographic equipment to prepare for scheduled studies.
• Initiates correct calls or contacts appropriate resources necessary to provide or obtain emergency services. Provides emergency assistance as required and or directed by the appropriate authority.
• Demonstrates Patient-Centered Care by showing courtesy, compassion, sensitivity and respect in all interactions with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel. Provides emotional support and general information to patient when appropriate, following departmental guidelines for confidential treatment of information in accordance with HIPAA.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
Requirements for an Echo Tech I:
Requirements for an Echo Tech II:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.