Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Anatomic Pathology Technician I - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 193441
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: To be determined
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Department of Lab-Path Surgical Pathology at Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is seeking a Full-time Anatomic Pathology Technician I;
- Anatomic Path Lab Technician performs pre-analytical laboratory tasks, preparatory and maintenance activities in support of Surgical Pathology, Cytopathology and Medical Pathology and the Morgue under the direction of the Supervisor.
- Follows established SOP to replenish, clean and maintain tissue processors, strainers, embedding center and other lab equipment in histology and cytology labs. Perform recycling of alcohol and other solvents used in tissue processing using distilling equipment to recapture usable stocks for reuse in lab.
- Accurately reviews patient samples and worklists from the lab information system to manage pending work by creating slides, accurately selecting corresponding surgical blocks and re-filing material accordingly.
- Manages the send and received operations involving surgical samples and pathology slides from the lab to satellite hospitals and prepares kits for various diagnostic testing for clients.
- Manages inventory and restocking tasks to support lab operations, removes hazardous material from the lab to the designated storage area and monitors. Notifies Supervisor of the need for replenishment before the supply runs-out. Stocks workstations with supplies.
- Handles incoming requests to expedite testing or to resolve problems and communicates with the technical lab staff.
- Uses effective interpersonal skills in all interactions, answers telephone inquiries to the best of knowledge, research answers if required and returns answer to caller without transferring caller unnecessarily. Works well with peers and those in authority. Maintains a positive rapport with medical staff and hospital personnel, communicates in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Complies with all Hospital and Laboratory Safety regulations, reports hazards to the Safety officer or Supervisor when found; completes in-service mandatory education on or before the due date. • Continuously monitors email for time-sensitive communications regarding specimen handling or quality issues, addresses and responds to emails in a timely manner
- Monitors Temptrak software to identify refrigerators or freezers out of allowable temperature range. Investigates and addresses issues to maintain appropriate temperature, records actions, and clears alarms.
- Must use independent judgement and higher level of decision making to ensure proper match of orders in lab information system with pathology inventories.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures • Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- And Prior experience with Laboratory Information Systems/Penn Chart (Preferred)
- Enrollment in an accredited school of Cytotechnology, Histotechnology, Medical Technology/Technician program, or other previous related laboratory experience. (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE