Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
PRN Security Officer @ HUP
Job ID: 188628
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is hiring a PRN Security Guard.
- Enforces Hospital regulations, provides a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors and employees by enforcing Hospital regulations and by continuously watching for and timely reporting of potential safety hazards and unusual occurrences through patrol of assigned areas. Investigates complaints or potential criminal conduct; assists in restraining patients as necessary; provides protective services. Possesses and exhibits extraordinarily strong customer service skills.
- Protect the establishment, its patients, visitors, staff, employees and invitees against the hazards of trespass and other crime, fire and other emergencies. Aids the acutely ill and renders assistance to those in need.
- Mans fixed posts and/or patrols hospital premises. Be alert for fire, theft, accident prevention, water, oil, gas or steam leaks, power, light and water waste, property damage, housekeeping matters, violation of work rules and control of parking, traffic and other matters particular to the premises being protected. Keeps Supervisor informed at all times
- Ascertains the identity of all persons during the hours of personal ID and control periods. Examine property and parcels being taken from the premises, as a deterrent to theft.
- Prepares and submits written reports in a complete and accurate manner; makes notations in log of all incidents. Must maintain complete confidentiality. May be required to testify in court pertaining to hospital and/or Security matters.
- Cross trains in other locations beyond normally assigned workplace. Ensures all required training is up-to-date. May have to work other shifts and/or locations as necessary.
- Must maintain all keys, equipment and uniforms issued. May be required to supervise others to a limited degree when as assigned as temporary Duty-Officer-In-Charge (D.O.).
- Basic shift hours will be 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM, 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM, 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM or as assigned to fill staffing for individual or special circumstances, e.g. special details and events.
- Must work weekends, holidays and overtime as required. Must be of good character. Must be neat and clean in appearance. Must comply with departmental dress code and standards
- Officers will come into contact with persons entering and leaving the hospital, including patients, visitors and employees, in various settings, such as waiting rooms, treatment areas, and inpatient rooms.
- Must perform work in extreme weather conditions when assigned to duties outdoors. May be required to perform duties in high heat, damp and / or dusty locations, where security and rescue operations are needed to be performed. Exposure to physical injury exists due to possible physical encounters when confronting, restraining or apprehending persons when necessary.
- PA Act - Trng to Cry Lthl Wpns (Required)
- PA Act 235. Pennsylvania Act 235 certification required prior to employment or within six (6) months of hire as a condition of employment. Note: If the employee does not obtain the Act 235 certification within the first six (6) months of employment, the employee will be immediately terminated. It is the responsibility of the employee to maintain this certification throughout their employment with the HUP Security Department. Failure to recertify before the expiration date of their Act 235 Certification will result in immediate termination.
- Driver's License (Required)
- PA driver’s license or valid license from the state in which the employee required.
- Healthcare Security & Saftey
- IAHSS basic certification preferred.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice and/or two years of previous experience in the security, military or law enforcement field preferred.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED required and 2+ years Two years of previous experience in the security, military or law enforcement field preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE