Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Unit Secretary – Inpatient Founders 8 MICU- Hospital of the University of Penn – FT Days
Job ID: 195143
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Days 7a - 7p
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Medicine wants you to grow your career with us! Consider joining our team as a Unit Secretary in the Founders 8 Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP), located at 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA, to partner with and work alongside and outstanding team at the #1 healthcare system in Pennsylvania. As a Magnet-designated organization, we live our life’s work through our Core Values of Excellence, Integrity, Diversity, Professionalism, Individual Opportunity, Teamwork/Collaboration and Tradition.
Penn Medicine’s Founders 8 MICU at HUP houses twelve beds and manages the care of critically ill medical patients involving single or multisystem dysfunction. This varied and complex patient population includes the following diagnoses: acute respiratory distress syndrome, sepsis, renal failure, oncologic emergencies, cardiac arrest, and liver failure patients awaiting transplant. As a Unit Secretary in the MICU, you will operate with the highest degree of professionalism and compassion.
- The Unit Secretary is an integral member of the health care team who delivers quality care through collaboration and communication with team members. They work under the direct supervision of the nurse manager and the registered nurse to support the clerical and secretarial operations of the patient care unit. Some of the major responsibilities will include managing clerical and information systems, receptionist duties, collection and reporting of patient data, incorporating organizational competencies of superior quality care and assuming responsibility and accountability for their role performance outcomes while supporting HUPs Standards of Excellence. The Unit Secretary must be a high school graduate or have an equivalency diploma. Post high school education, which includes computer courses and medical terminology, preferred. Familiarity with typewriter/computer keyboard preferred.
- Answers telephones, takes and relays messages promptly, and answers inquiries.
- Greets patients and visitors, gives directions, and answers questions.
- Communicates with nursing staff and hospital staff about patients’ needs and whereabouts.
- Ensures that patient consents and Advance Directive paperwork is in order.
- Support Medication Reconciliation Process through appropriate chart forms and electronic auditing.
- Answers the patient call bell system and promptly communicates the patients’ needs to the appropriate healthcare team member.
- Facilitates access for security door/intercom system on locked nursing units as indicated—respectfully answers intercom request for entry onto the unit and follows through with security measures defined by nursing unit guidelines.
- Reports security door malfunctioning to the charge nurse, security and maintenance as indicated.
- Assists nurses, physicians and other health care providers in emergency situations by arranging for emergency studies, placing routine, CODE and STAT telephone pages.
- Arranges for patient transport as needed.
- Sorts and delivers patient flowers, mail, and packages according to unit needs.
- Calls for equipment and supplies as needed by the patient and arranges for return of equipment after use.
- Places calls, electronic info-grams and/or completes supportive paperwork to supportive serve departments regarding minor problems.
- Notifies Nurse Manager of problems of a more serious nature.
- Submits completed paperwork for Nurse Manager’s signature.
- Communicates patient arrival on unit, impending transfers, or discharges by entering the appropriate information into the computer system.
- Enters discharge information and appropriate admission and discharge code in the hospital electronic information system as soon as the patient either arrives on the unit or leaves the unit.
- Maintains the Admission, Discharge, and Transfer Logbook.
- Maintains patient medical record in appropriate order and identifies each sheet with patient identification.
- Files and charts laboratory, radiology and other patient information forms in appropriate sections of each patient chart.
- Checks charts for sufficient supply of imprinted forms.
- Gathers all components of patient chart, including bedside chart from wall desks; assembles in proper discharge order; and ensures each page of the chart is properly imprinted when patient is discharged.
- Prepares necessary patient chart copies for discharge to new level of care — Rehabilitation, Psychiatry and/or Hospice.
- Prepares patient chart for all transitions in care: for tests, new patient care units, etc.
- Prepares the Transition Pass as directed.
- Facilitates patient progression through regular updates with the charge nurse and clinical staff.
- Accountable for placing completed discharge charts in locked box for pickup by Medical Records personnel.
- Maintains and updates patient identification bracelets as needed and ensures patient identification bar code stickers are accurate.
- Keeps requisition locations filled and ensures sufficient supplies are available at the nurses’ station.
- Monitors stationery and paper products levels; initiates order for supplies as directed by the Nurse Manager; maintains locations of forms in compliance with established guidelines.
- Maintains work area and mobile workstations in orderly fashion.
- Assists Nurse Manager in data collection for departmental projects/research when appropriate.
- Provides suggestions at staff meetings and other forums regarding changes in unit practices that provide for improved delivery of patient service.
- Accepts reassignment to other units as directed by Nurse Manager or Charge Nurse.
- Sensitive and responsive to patient, family, and customer satisfaction issues by demonstrating courtesy and respect for patients, family visitors, hospital staff and employees.
- Supports and contributes to the unit’s patient satisfaction goals.
- Communicates pertinent observations to appropriate members of the health care team in a timely fashion.
- Works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team.
- Provides direction to the medical teams for completing the electronic death certificate. Secures the certificate according to guidelines.
- Provides direction to the medical teams for completing the fetal death certificate when appropriate.
- Supports the process of notification to Gift of Life.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE