Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Pharmacy Technician I - Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 193779
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Shift: Part time, evening hours, 8pm-12am
- Under the direct supervision of registered pharmacists, Pharmacy technicians assist in the preparation and filling of medication orders and medication carts; performs critical pharmacy calculations; compounds sterile and non-sterile preparations using appropriate pharmaceutical technique. Utilizes various computerized programs and technical equipment for the various functions listed above. Performs medication distribution to patients. Performs nursing unit quality assurance inspections. Restocks and reorders necessary pharmacy inventory. Satisfactorily passes required hospital and government validation examinations.
- Accurately interprets, fills, delivers, restck, stre, return, waste all inpatient and utpatient (if applicable) medicatin rders under the direct supervisin f a registered pharmacist.Demnstrates and maintains prficiency in all medicatin preparatin and dispensing prcesses, including IV admixture preparatin, repackaging, checking and replenishing f medicatin kits. Accurately perfrms all dsage calculatins necessary t prepare r cmpund a medicatin fr dispensing.Effectively utilizes and maintains available technlgy - (including, but nt limited t mnicell, clinical infrmatin systems, labeling, and distributin technlgy).Practively assesses and maintains adequate medicatin and supply inventry levels in all areas f the pharmacy and ther areas f the hspital. Cmmunicates replenishment needs as necessary per departmental prcedures.Adheres t all plicies, prcedures, laws and regulatins that gvern the handling, dispensing and strage f cntrlled substances. Cmpletes and maintains all necessary dcumentatin. Reprts any irreslvable discrepancies t supervising pharmacist immediately.Effectively participates in the training and rientatin f new pharmacists, technicians and students.Perfrms all medicatin unit inspectins, as assigned, in a timely manner. Practively remves utdated medicatins frm drug strage areas. Fllws established prcesses and prcedures fr the handling and strage f utdated medicatins.Perfrms ther duties as assigned by supervising pharmacist r pharmacy management in an effective and timely manner.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification upon hire or within 6 months of hire date required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Prior hospital or retail pharmacy experience preferred.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required).
- Inpatient pharmacy or sterile compounding experience preferred.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE