Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Unit Clerk , Medical-Surgical (part-time) - Pennsylvania Hospital
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 193890
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The unit clerk is an integral member of the patient care team who delivers quality care through collaboration and communication with team members. They work under the direct supervision of the nurse manager and the registered nurse to support the clerical and secretarial operations of the patient care unit. Responsible for key clerical functions and communication between the patient care team and patients/families. This role emphasizes the integration of clerical activities, health information record processing, hospitality and receptionist activities, and business service functions, incorporating organizational competencies of superior quality care and assuming responsibility and accountability for their role performance outcomes while supporting PAHs Relationship Based Care Model.
- Prvides receptinist supprt including answering telephnes, greeting visitrs, and respnding t patient call lights and ensuring that requests are either met r are handed ff the apprpriate nursing staff.Ensures that health infrmatin recrds are prperly btained, duplicated, assembled maintained and disassembled. Inputs infrmatin int varius cmputer systems. Navigates thrugh varius cmpnents f the cmputerized rder entry and dcumentatin system.Uses discretin and prtects the cnfidentiality f the patient.Facilitates the patient admissin transfer and discharge prcess.Cmmunicates STAT and NW rders t RN’s r ther pertinent staff within established guidelines.Cmmunicates with ancillary and supprt services t ensure adequacy f ffice related equipment and frms. This includes all cmputer related equipment and supplies.Uses patient prgressin sftware t cmmunicate with patient supprt services t crdinate in-huse escrt, special dietary rders, menu delivery, etc. and ntifies nursing staff f new rm assignmentsAttends t patient and family needs by crdinating visits fr lcal clergy and interpreter services thrugh Patient and Guest Service’s.Prmptly ntifies nurse in charge if unable t cmplete task, r assignment as directed.Attends educatinal sessins at the request f the Nurse Manager.Maintains neat and rganized wrk statin.Respnsible fr maintaining pneumatic tube system.Telephne Etiquette:Answering phne calls - intrduce self, identify department address time f day, ask Hw may I help yu?Telephne transfer – explain the reasn fr the transfer, ask permissin, prvide infrmatin befre transferring, make sure smene is n the line befre yu discnnect.Taking a message – give urgent message t apprpriate persn, infrm caller f the availability f the persn he wants t talk with befre asking fr name Placing n HldEnding a phne callUses effective interpersnal skills in all interactins. Makes eye cntact and prmptly greets all visitrs, physicians, and patients wh apprach the nursing statin r arrive n the unit.Perfrms duties and exhibits behavirs cnsistent with Relatinship Based Care philsphy f Pennsylvania Hspital.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED required and 0-1 years of training and/or experience at an acute care facility.
- Other (Required)
- Student Nurse with hospital-based clinical experience.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE