Job ID: 194602
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8hr Days
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Department: Cancer Patient Family Services
Location: PCAM: 3400 Civic Center Blvd
Hours: 8hr Days
The Nurse Navigator is a member of a multidisciplinary team of specialists that serves as an advocate, educator and supportive resource for the oncology patient, their family, and referring public. The scope of work includes assessing patients' needs and providing support and interventions such as facilitating access to care among multiple oncology specialties, providing information and education to patients and families, and making referrals to supportive services.
This dynamic position is assigned a specific oncology disease site(s) and will develop and apply clinical expertise to patient care in alignment with the goals of the department, disease teams and larger organization. The Nurse Navigator is a crucial member of the care team and heavily relied upon by patients/families, referring providers/staff as well as oncology team to support and guide patients with accurate, timely information and communication.
· Partners with patients, families, the interdisciplinary team and external sources to provide well-coordinated, timely, compassionate and multidisciplinary access to care.
· Participates in multidisciplinary tumor conferences, patient centered conferences, clinical trials research meetings as appropriate, and disease specific leadership and pathway meetings.
· Systematically and continually performs the nursing functions of assessment, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of the oncology patient to assist patients in overcoming barriers to care.
· Applies disease specific knowledge, skill, and coordination across health care disciplines to assist in coordinating patient tests, procedures, appointments and treatments.
· Documents assessments, interventions, and outcomes in PennChart, as well as maintains data established by the department.
· Practices in a collaborative manner with other members of the department and disease teams.
· Works with providers and administrative staff to facilitate assessment, care and treatment.
· Communicates and collaborates with all members of the health care team as appropriate about the patient/family needs and concerns.
· Functions in an organized and time conscious manner.
· Assists the Penn Cancer Network with referrals for patient access and coordination within the Abramson Cancer Center and the cancer service line related services.
· Works as member of the Oncology Nurse Navigation team providing case coverage to colleagues in the department and fully participates in all Patient and Family Services initiatives and projects.
· Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
· Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.