Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Entity: Penn Primary Care and Penn Specialty Practices
Department: Penn Partners in Care
Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA
Hours: Per Departmental Needs
The Clinical Pharmacy Specialist - Ambulatory Care develops and coordinates pharmacy services in primary care, provides patient and population care management within a interdisciplinary team, contributes to quality improvement activities, promotes the safe, effective and cost-effective use of medications within the clinic. Patient care responsibilities: comprehensive medication management and medication review for high-risk patients, interdisciplinary referrals for individualized medication and/or disease management and provider group-based medication management, both transitional care management and longitudinal care management services.
- Reviews patient profiles for appropriate drug therapy, contacting Providers to optimize therapy.
- Evaluates patient’s age, height, weight, pregnancy and lactation status, renal and liver function, therapeutic serum medication concentrations, to determine appropriate drug dosage regimen.
- Documents interventions, cost avoidance initiatives or drug information inquiries appropriately.
- Completes assignments in a timely fashion, including prompt response to provider/care management referrals.
- Provides comprehensive medication management and medication reconciliation for patients as requested by the care management or prescribing staff or if indicated by clinical judgment.
- Assists in transitional care management between the acute and ambulatory care setting.
- Assists with longitudinal care management and chronic disease state management: including designing, implementing and coordinating medication care plans for patients on an on-going basis.
- Monitors medication therapy to evaluate appropriateness of use, dose, dosage form, regimen, route, therapeutic duplication, and drug interactions.
- Develops, implements and coordinates patient drug therapy, educational programs for department Staff and is a Pharmacotherapy specialty resource for the Providers, Care Management and Practice Staff.
- Provides information to the medical, pharmacy and nursing staff to ensure optimal drug usage, provides recommendations to improve therapy, advises physicians on appropriate drug therapy.
- Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team to support clinical outcome metrics.
- Responsible for precepting pharmacy students and pharmacy residents completing ambulatory care rotations.
- Ensures compliance with all state, Joint Commission (Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Health Care Organizations) and OSHA (Occupational, Safety, and Health Administration) regulations in terms of medication management both within the pharmacy and assigned patient care unit.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
- Licensed Pharmacist in the state of PA REQUIRED
- Licensed Pharmacist in the state of NJ within 3 months of hire REQUIRED
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy from an accredited school of pharmacy AND 0-1 years of related experience REQUIRED
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an accredited college of pharmacy AND 0-1 years of related experience preferred
- Completion of an ASHP accredited PGY1 Pharmacy Residency REQUIRED
- Completion of an ASHP accredited PGY2 Pharmacy Ambulatory Care Residency preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.