Job ID: 196409
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The PRN Polysomnographic Technologist/Technician performs comprehensive polysomnographic testing, analysis and associated interventions the general supervision of a Team Leader (RPSGT) and/or Medical Director. The technologist/technician will assist with diagnostic, therapeutic services, patient care, and education.
· Explains procedures, goals, treatment plan and orients patient to the sleep center. Verifies physician’s prescription for appropriate testing.
· Demonstrates the knowledge of neuro-anatomy and physiology. Measures accurately and applies electrodes in a timely manner in accordance to laboratory standards. Ensure electrode impedance meet laboratory standards.
· Verifies patient history, gathers appropriate information from patient, patients’ record, and family members to include any sleep disturbances. Explains test procedure to the patient and family members present.
· Follow the “lights out” procedures to establish and document base line values such as body position, pulse oximetry, respiratory and heart rates.
· Lights the “lights on” procedures to verify the integrity of collected data and complete the data collection process. Instructs the patient on completing questionnaires.
· Performs any special polysomnographic testing as ordered. Records study and makes initial interpretation of results.
· Document routine observations, including sleep stages and clinical events, changes in procedures and other significant events in order to facilitate scoring and interpretation of polysomnographic results.
· Performs appropriate physiologic calibrations to ensure proper signals and make adjustments if necessary.
· Administers oxygen and nasal CPAP as needed by protocol. Instructs the patient in proper the use of all equipment and accessories.
· Performs polysomnographic data acquisition while monitoring study-tracing quality to ensure signals are artifact free and make adjustments when necessary.
· Knowledge of basic infection control standards relating to patient and equipment, including electrodes.
· Performs routine equipment and maintenance care. Assists with inventory evaluation.
· Prepare and calibrate equipment required for testing to determine proper functioning and make adjustments if necessary.
· Implement appropriate therapeutic interventions for patient safety such as continuous and Bi-Level positive air pressure, oxygen administration, etc.
· Demonstrates the appropriate actions to take during patient emergency situations and ensures patient safety at all times.
· Maintains files or results in accordance with medical record retention standards
· Demonstrates computer skills related to all aspects of performing a sleep studies, general of polysomnographic instrumentation pattern recognition and various medical and pharmacological conditions that influence the polysmnography.
· Answers telephone and schedules patients for test, when necessary.
· Interacts effectively with patients, visitors, and all levels of Hospital personnel. Exhibits consistent behaviors with the philosophy of Pennsylvania Hospital showing courtesy, compassion, sensitivity and respect.
· Records sleep/wake stages, clinical event (respiratory events, cardiac events, limb movements, arousals etc.), by the departmental established guidelines of the American Academy of Sleep.
· Performs related duties, as assigned.
Education, Training & Experience:
· Certified by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologist or registry eligible technicians are required to possess completion of the A-Step Program.
· Polysomnographic training in a hospital setting with experience and/or 3-5 years experience in polysmnography is an asset.
· Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT) or registry eligible technicians are required to possess completion of the A-Step Program
· Demonstrates the ability to work effectively with patients and all levels of hospital personnel.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.