Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
CNA- General Medicine- Founders 14- HUP- Full Time Rotating Shifts
Job ID: 195812
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Rotating Shifts 50/50 Day/Night, Every 3rd Wknd
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Penn Recruitment Team is seeking a full-time CNA for our General Medicine unit, Founders 14 @ HUP.
Founders 12/14 specialize in General Medicine with Telemetry. The unit sees a wide variety of patient populations to care for such as chronic disease, infectious disease, cardiac, psychiatric, GI and renal. The unit uses a broad range of technology that includes Philips Intellivue Information Center and EASI 5-Lead telemetry system, MAC 5000 EKG machines, Philips HeartStart MRx biphasic defibrillator, Medley infusion pumps, mini-infusers, bladder scanners, and Doppler.
Additional information- This position requires 50/50 rotation between day and night shift and every 3rd weekend.
- The certified nursing assistant is an integral member of the health care team who deliversquality care through collaboration and communication with team members. They work under the direct supervision of theregistered nurse to support and assist the nurse in the delivery of quality care to patients and families. Some of the majorresponsibilities will include collection and reporting of patient data, incorporating organizational competencies of superior qualitycare and assuming responsibility and accountability for their role performance outcomes while supporting HUPs Standards ofExcellence.The Nursing Assistant must be a currently certified nursing assistant.
- Reprt:Receives written/verbal reprt at the beginning f each shift frm the registered nurse (RN) regarding the care that is t be delivered t the assigned grup f patients, r fr patient needing cnstant bservatin.Gives reprt when leaving unit, and at the cmpletin f the shift regarding the care that was delivered; any abnrmalities that ccur during the shift are t be reprted as they ccur t the RN as well as t the ncming CNA.Assists in Assessment:Identifies the patient per hspital plicy befre carrying ut functins.Assists with data cllectin fr nursing histry and physical e.g., vital signs, ht. wt, bld sugar results, functinal status and cmmunicates changes t the RN in a timely fashin.Participates in respectful cmmunicatin with patients, families and c wrkers.Prvides patient and family infrmatin t the registered nurse fr crdinatin f care and discharge planning.bserves skin changes and reprts disclratin, abrasins, infestatins r skin breakdwn.Planning:Assists in setting mutually agreed upn realistic individual patient gals.Integrates the RN’s directins re: the patient’s plan f care int the care given t the patient.Gives RN reprt befre the end f the shift regarding the patient’s respnse t the plan f care issues, and at varius times during the shift t reprt unusual findings e.g., abnrmal bld sugar results, vital sign changes, pain etc.Interventin:Prmtes infectin cntrl by using the apprpriate hand washing techniques.Fllws standard precautins and any ther islatin precautins as dictated by the patient’s cnditin.Maintains a safe envirnment and prtects the patient frm injury by bserving the patient wh may be at risk fr falls, cnfusin, disrientatin, wandering r suicidal behavirs; fllws Cnstant bservatin Plicy.Applies and mnitrs patients in restraints per plicy and per medical rder.bserves r mnitrs behavir/health state and respnses t therapy. Temperature, Pulse, Respiratin. Bld Pressure. Neurlgical Checks. Vascular Checks. Height and Weight. Intake and utput. Bwel and Bladder Functin Checks. Pain.Cmmunicates pertinent bservatins t apprpriate members f the health care team in a timely fashin.Participates in multidisciplinary runds n the patient care unit.Perfrms patient care runds per unit plicy.Participates in staff and unit cuncil meetings.Wrks in cllabratin with all members f the healthcare team.Reprts findings t nurse cncerning the patient and r family which may impact patient care.Perfrms r assists the patient with activities f daily living such as bathing, (bed, tub, shwer, r sitz) grming, eating, feeding, range f mtin, ambulating, transferring and ral hygiene.Participates in the preventin and treatment f skin breakdwn.Applies current accepted methds f heat and cld therapy as directed by the nurse.Prvides fr the patient’s ral dietary needs using currently accepted methds.Prvides fr the eliminatin needs by giving a bed pan, urinal, emptying urinary and r bwel appliances r implementing the bwel prgram under the directin f the RN.Assists with clstmy irrigatins.Assists with vaginal irrigatins.Applies ursheath/cndm catheter.Remves fley catheter as directed by the nurse and mnitrs urinary ut put as directed.Administers cleansing enemas as rdered.Perfrms pst mrtem care.Assists the physician t perfrm physical exams.Assists with xygen therapy nly and des nt regulate the flw f xygen.Encurage the use f the pulmnary tilet by using the incentive spirmeter, cughing, turning and deep breathing.Utilizes the apprpriate equipment fr patient lifting.Reinfrces health care instructin t patients accrding t the directins f the nurse.Displays cmpetence in using the fllwing equipment and reprts findings t the registered nurse: Pulse ximeter Bladder scanner 12 Lead ECG Data Scpe Electric Fetal Mnitr (as applicable) Glucmeter Fley remval Lift and transfer devicesPerfrms cntinuus bladder irrigatins per directin f RNDcumentatin: Dcuments findings, interventins and patient utcme results n patient dcuments. This may include I&, VS, Bladder scanner results, pulse x results, glucmeter results r ther findings. Dcuments using cmplete signature, status “CNA” and date and time n all charted entries.Evaluatin: Assists in evaluating nursing care given by cmparing the patients functinal status frm day t day and discussing this with the nurse.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- CNA Certification by the State of Pennsylvania Required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required) and/or matriculated in an accredited BSN Nursing Program preferred; minimally completed the nursing foundations/fundamentals clinical course with a 3.0 GPA overall and in the nursing major
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE