Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Practice Lead RN IV in the Cardiology ICU at HUP
Job ID: 196690
Category: CNS (Clinical Nurse Specialist)
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Clinical Practice Leader (CPL) role is a clinical leadership position. CPLs serve as expert clinicians within a specific patient population and partner with Nurse Managers to assume accountability for the nurse and patient outcomes on their nursing unit. Leveraging advanced education and training, CPLs are accountable for leading nursing practice by supporting nurses to care for patients at the bedside, driving practice changes at the unit, service line, and systems levels, and ensuring the use of best practices and evidence-based care to achieve the best possible patient outcomes. An important focus of the CPL role is to understand organizational goals and to design, implement, and evaluate practice change initiatives that advance these goals. A strong CPL must be able to: (a) communicate effectively toward negotiating multiple perspectives within the organization and driving change; (b) demonstrate clinical judgment and establish clinical credibility with nursing and interprofessional colleagues within his/her specialty area; (c) exhibit self-direction in maintaining professional knowledge and competence within his/her specialty area; (d) apply critical thinking and analytic skills to design and implement change initiatives; (e) build rapport with and provide mentorship to clinical nurses; and (f) partner effectively with nurse manager colleagues to advance professional nursing practice.
- Leverage clinical expertise to facilitate delivery of high quality, coordinated, evidence-based nursing care via: Direct patient care Consultative patient care in partnership with nurses, interprofessional care team members, and patients/ families Clinical support and coaching for nurses and other disciplines Synthesis of assessment data to design, implement, and evaluate clinical interventions that address patient/population needsAdvance nursing practice and improve patient outcomes at the multi-unit/ service line/ health system level by: Utilizing evidence to establish practice standards Assessing nursing practice for improvement opportunities Leading nurses in designing, implementing, and evaluating practice change Fostering nurses’ professional development through teaching, mentoring, and coaching; providing feedback to nurses about professional practice Overseeing delivery of a comprehensive unit-based orientation program to onboard newly hired nursesWork in partnership with the Nurse Manager to: Set strategic goals for the nursing unit that align with clinical and operational organizational imperatives Design and implement strategies to achieve high priority goals (e.g., nursing-sensitive indicators, population-specific quality metrics, patient and nursing satisfaction) Engage nursing staff in effective bidirectional communication and shared decision making Cultivate a healthy, ethical, and respectful work environmentInfluence system changes that drive quality and/ or cost improvements in nurse and/or patient outcomes by: Building partnership within and across diverse stakeholder groups through leadership, team building, negotiation, and conflict resolution Leading systematic quality and safety initiatives based on precise problem identification, gap analysis, and/or process evaluation Leading the interprofessional team in the development, implementation, and evaluation of evidence-based practices Leading change efforts in response to organizational and community needsAccountable for the following UPHS Behavioral Competencies:Ensures accountabilityAction orientedManages ambiguityAttracts top talentBusiness insightCollaboratesCommunicates effectivelyManages complexityManages conflictCourageCustomer focusDecision qualityDevelops talentValues differencesDirects worksDrives engagementFinancial acumenGlobal perspectiveCultivates innovationInterpersonal savvyBuilds networksNimble learningOrganizational savvyPersuadesPlans and alignsBeing resilientResourcefulnessDrives resultsDemonstrates self-awarenessSelf-developmentSituational adaptabilityBalances stakeholdersStrategic mindsetBuilds effective teamsTech savvyInstills trustDrives vision and purposeOptimizes work processes
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
Education Specialization: Nursing
- Master of Arts or Science
- And 5+ years Experience in clinical practice with the patient population cared for in the unit/ area
Education Specialization: Nursing or related discipline
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE