Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Ophthalmic Technician I
Job ID: 197886
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: Media, PA, United States
Work Schedule: full time regular
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Job Title: Ophthalmic Technician I
Department: Ophthalmology Clinical Support Media
Location: Scheie Eye Institute Media - 601 W State St
Hours: Full Time First Shift
When applying to this position, if applicable, upload your current BLS/CPR certification and your COA, COT, or COMT certification
- The Ophthalmic Technician exhibits UPHS organizational behavioral competencies which reflect its mission and are embedded in the professional practice competency domains.
- The Ophthalmic Technician is accountable for the provision of direct care to patients, who range in age from infancy to the elderly, and demonstrates care within the competency domains of Continuous Quality Improvement, Person and family centered care, Professionalism, Safety, Teamwork, and Technology.
- The Ophthalmic Technician works closely with the inter-professional health care team to facilitate the coordination of care across the continuum.
- The Ophthalmic Technician focuses on developing knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, cultural, educational, safety and age-appropriate considerations of the patient.
- The Ophthalmic Technician's practices impacts the organization's vision, mission, goals, and the care delivery system.
- The Ophthalmic Technician complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- The Ophthalmic Technician assist the Ophthalmologist with direct patient care. Completes patient medical and ocular history.
- The Ophthalmic Technician must complete all assigned competencies and become certified within 12 months of hire.
- Completes medical and ocular history on all patients.
- Completes chief complaint and allergies on all patients.
- Completes health screening questions including falls, abuse, depression screening.
- Documents all medications on all patients.
- Completion of surgical, all procedures, and pre-cert insurance forms when required.
- Schedule MRI’s and retrieve reports if applicable.
- Collaborate with pharmacies to ensure patient Rx’s are filled.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the department, entity and health system organization.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Preferred)
- CPR American Heart Association (Preferred)
- COA, Certified Ophthalmic Assistant COT, Certified Ophthalmic Technician COMT, Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist (Preferred)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Associate of Arts or Sciences (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE