Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Manager, Environmental Hygiene Services
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 194651
Work Type: FT
Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-4:30PM, M-F | Onsite
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- This corporate service position reports directly to the UPHS Corporate Director of Emergency Management and Safety Programs and interacts with staff at all levels within all hospitals, practices, departments and business units throughout the University of Pennsylvania Health System to prevent injury and illness of staff, patients and visitors as associated with occupational and environmental exposure. This position is responsible for managing and coordinating the recognition, evaluation, monitoring, and control of environmental stressors occurring in the varied settings of a major health system with multiple facilities and functions for patient care, medical education, and research. Primary responsibilities include Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Protection, Occupational Safety, and Hazardous Materials Management and Response.
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, evaluates, and directs assigned portions of the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) safety program and activities, in accordance with current applicable Federal, State and local standards, guidelines, and regulations as well as established policies and procedures as guided by the various Hospital and/or entity Safety Committees under the direction of the Corporate Director of Emergency Management and Safety. Responsible for initiating safety standards and policy/procedure development as appropriate to operations in assigned areas of responsibility. Participates and contributes to UPHS safety management program initiatives for employee education, infection control and awareness training, and other resources developed for communication of the safety activities or knowledge to our staff, patients and visitors. Maintains, develops and monitors the performance of management plans for UPHS that establish compliance with The Joint Commission requirements for Hazardous Materials and Waste Management. Investigates OSHA related complaints throughout the Health System and provides recommendations and solutions to mitigate any potential hazard or alleged hazard.
- Manages EHS subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved salary and operational budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. Provides leadership and support to Environment of Care and Emergency Management committees sub-committees and/or management programs at multiple entities including, but not limited to: Hazardous Materials Program Management; Emergency Management and Decontamination capability and training; Incident Review; Chemical Hygiene; Infection Control; Ventilation Systems Management; and Indoor Air Quality.
- Coordination of planning, design, implementation, and ongoing evaluation and monitoring of a comprehensive respiratory protection program for the UPHS. This will involve communication and collaborative interaction with Occupational Medicine, Human Resources, and Infection Control to assure key regulatory and patient safety objectives are achieved. Manages activities that may require complex schedule coordination.
- Manages pharmaceutical and hazardous waste programs for the assigned portions of the Health System and monitors compliance with local, State, Federal and accrediting agencies including PADEP, EPA, & TJC. Acts as liaison with the University, Entity Environmental Services / Facility Management and State & Local regulatory agencies in management and coordination of waste stream program.
- Coordinates a comprehensive industrial hygiene program for UPHS that helps assure employee occupational exposures are within limits established by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and other applicable regulatory agencies. This will involve the use of complex monitoring equipment for air, water and noise. Where sampling methodologies require professional certification and/or the volume of work demand exceeds departmental capabilities, the Manager of Environmental Hygiene shall coordinate and maintain contractual relationships with various qualified venders who can provide these services. The ultimate objective of the environmental hygiene service line is to provide industrial hygiene and environmental monitoring services to UPHS entity locations that aggregates value to the enterprise relationship. Based upon the results of these studies, the Manager of Environmental Hygiene also develops recommended interventions where appropriate and monitors progress of interventions to correct problems identified.
- Develops, maintains and recommends an annual operating budget to deliver essential services necessary to accomplish the overall objectives of the Environmental Hygiene service line as directed by the Corporate Director of Emergency Management and Safety Programs.
- Oversees and coordinates the development of hospital based first receivers program to protect healthcare workers from exposure to chemical, biological and radiological exposures associated with receiving patients to our hospital Emergency Departments as well as other areas of our facilities and ambulatory care operations.
- Supports facility Safety Managers with environmental clearance program for pre-construction or pre-maintenance activity through coordination of Industrial Hygiene studies and preparation / clearance of hazards.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required), preferably in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Environmental Sciences or related field.
- Master's Degree (Preferred)
- 5+ years of related experience (Required)
- Certified Healthcare Safety Professional (CHSP) - Preferred
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and/or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) - Preferred
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to operate fundamental industrial hygiene and/or environmental monitoring equipment.
- Ability to operate and train individuals on operation of respiratory fit testing equipment.
- Ability to drive multiple projects.
- Experience in designing, building and improving key processes.
- Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills.
- Strong written and communication skills; ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE