Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Perfusionist at HUP
Job ID: 196892
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Works with the Director of Perfusion to provide patient care within the scope of practice of the perfusion service; accountable for ensuring that perfusion clinical practice, and perfusion technical and clinical education and perfusion research are conducted with UPHS standards. Assists with evaluation of equipment and techniques for implementation into clinical practice. Works with Director of Perfusion to meet the human and material needs of the department and institution, on a short and long term basis. Serves as a resource for perfusion information. Assists with management of HR and QI functions within Department.
- Patient Care: Performs clinical duties to include Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB), Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumping (IABP), Autologous Blood Processing, Cardiopulmonary Support (CPS), Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), Ventricular Assist Device (VAD), Rapid Infusion, Hemoconcentration/Ultrafiltration , Coagulation Monitoring, Blood Gas Analysis, Isolated Limb Perfusion, Veno-Veno Bypass. In conjunction with Director of Perfusion, is responsible for providing safe clinical perfusion care, including staff scheduling. Assists with development and revision of HUP and UPHS perfusion department policies and procedures inaccordance with perfusion patient care standards, changes in patient population as well as external standards. Provides perfusion practices within department to meet JCAHO, State Health Department and other regulatory standards. Assists with development and maintenance of a Quality Improvement program for HUP and UPHS perfusion departments. Works collaboratively with other disciplines to ensure comprehensive patient care. Evaluates new techniques and, if approved, assists with implementation of new clinical programs. Evaluates new equipment for clinical applications. Assists with monitoring of capital equipment and disposable inventory levels and ensures appropriate availability for all clinical procedures.Personnel: Assists Director of Perfusion with recruitment of Perfusionists, and Perfusion Assistants/Clinical Technicians. Assists with development of programs that enhance the clinical decision making, perfusion care delivery, and professional growth of staff within the department. Maintains all departmental and UPHS standards regarding perfusion practices and professional conduct. Maintains consistent, fair interpretation and enforcement of HUP and UPHS policies. Acts as a resource person for HUP employees and students assigned to HUP. Assists and guides fellow Perfusionists toward attainment of HUP and UPHS goals.Quality Management: Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of clinical programs. Ensures the provision of quality perfusion patient care consistent with the institutional mission and within budgetary constraints. Assists Director of Perfusion with departmental purchasing of supplies and equipment, as required. Education Fosters an environment that promotes learning and effective problem solving. Participates in orientation of new perfusionists, hospital clinical staff, as well as students. Contributes to educational programs at the graduate/undergraduate and CE level. Assists with clinical preceptor program to graduate students and fellows.Research: Assists with ongoing evaluation of perfusion practices within the department. Fosters a climate conducive to clinical perfusion research. Participates in clinical perfusion and surgical research.Assists with the development and/or modification of forms for charting and/or record keeping that are unique to the Perfusion Department.Works with the Director of Perfusion and colleagues in design and development of perfusion documentation systems and their components.Makes periodic clinical reports, both written and verbal.
- Perfusionist (Required)
- Certified C Perfusionist (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Other (Required)
Education Specialization: Must be a graduate of an accredited perfusion program
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE