Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Regional PR and Internal Communications Manager
Job ID: 196851
Work Type: FT
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Work Schedule: 8hr Days (Remote)
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Communications Staff
Location: The position is remote, but external communications responsibilities will include coordinating media requests and staffing on site as required (primarily at Princeton and Chester County).
Hours: 8hr Days
- The Regional PR and Internal Communications Manager serves as an integral part of the Penn Medicine Communications Department, serving as both an internal communications manager and a media relations professional supporting assigned entities of the health system. In the internal communications space, they will work to provide communications support to leaders of assigned entities and programmatic areas, devising and executing strategic communications approaches to strengthen employee culture and connectedness to systemwide priorities, and drive awareness of key institutional news and, as applicable, action by employees.
- In the media relations space, the Regional PR and Internal Communications manager will work to highlight Penn Medicine thought leaders and interesting staff and patient stories to capture the attention of and drive engagement with the press (as well as other constituents as needed) and leveraging these stories for internal audiences, as well.
- Working as part of the Penn Medicine Communications department and reporting to the Associate Director for Internal Communications, the Regional Communications Manager will serve as day-to-day internal communications manager and media relations representative for activities relating to their assigned UPHS entities and programmatic areas.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with key institutional leaders and staff and utilize a strong news sense to identify communications priorities and tactics for both internal and external storytelling. Cultivate relationships with regional and national media outlets to proactively place stories about assigned entities and thematic beat areas, and manage and provide strategy for incoming media requests, including assistance with crisis communications matters.
- Internal communications responsibilities include working with leaders to identify areas of priority for communication to the workforce, writing time-sensitive written messages, creating multimedia and scheduled reports or other materials. Media relations activities include generating placements in regional and national media outlets highlighting marquee programs based at assigned entities and systemwide efforts, thought leaders, and topical expertise pertaining to current events and emerging issues in healthcare.
- Collaborate closely with members of the publications and media teams to identify and execute media outreach to coincide with publications stories and maximize thematic storytelling opportunities. Conceptualize and develop visual and graphic concepts for both internal and external communications, and coordinate with designers, photographers, and social media colleagues to produce polished final products to drive maximum engagement with employees and the press.
- Serve as part of “on-call” rotation to manage off-hours media relations issues/needs and provide assistance during emergencies, including on-site staffing as needed at various health system locations.
- Assist with event production, meeting management, and special activities such as employee engagement and recognition events.
- Collect and analyze defined metrics to evaluate success of new communications deliverables.
- Assist with and contribute to systemwide projects or short-term assignments as needed.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required), preferably in Communications, Journalism, English or a related area of study.
- 5+ years of experience in non-profit, educational, or scientific or healthcare writing, strategic communications, and related work (Required).
- Experience in education, science or medical settings (Required)
Skills & Abilities:
- Superior understanding of the principles and practice of health care and medicine.
- Ability to be flexible and work under pressure, including time-sensitive assignments and long-term projects.
- Demonstrated success accurately capturing the voice, tone, and priorities of executives and staff, and translating key messages for use across multiple communications tactics.
- Demonstrates an understanding of broader news events and trends in medicine and healthcare in order to report on new information, synthesize content from disparate sources and topics in order to make appropriate recommendations regarding executive communications strategy.
- Experience writing for and packaging information through an array of mediums – publications, social media, speeches/public speaking/presentations, video, infographics, etc.
- Experience writing and editing on medical and healthcare topics.
- Ability to translate technical information into language accessible by the lay public and all members of the Penn Medicine workforce.
- Experience working with or writing for the news media.
- Track record of managing projects and processes and working with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong experience creating engaging slide decks and other presentation materials, including PowerPoint and email marketing platforms, and working with other creative colleagues to develop videos, advanced graphic design materials, etc.
- Experience with management of external contractors/vendors.
- Comfort with virtual event platforms and A/V technology for video and audio recording
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE