Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Sr Certified Medical Assistant
Job ID: 198494
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: Robbinsville, NJ, United States
Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:15-4:45 pm
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Senior Certified Medical Assistant is primarily responsible for assisting physicians, nurse practitioners, residents and registered nurses in the daily operations of the clinic and patient care. In addition to providing orientation, mentoring and supervision of other CMA’s in the Clinic.
- Manages/facilitates patient flow during patient care sessions. Performs patient check-in; elicits patients’ chief complaints through history-taking and observation. Takes vital signs, height and weight, performs appropriate patient screening and puts patients in exam rooms.
- Supervise, mentor, and provide ongoing training and feedback to all CMAs.
- Prepares for patient care sessions, including ensuring medical charts are up to date and include current test/procedure results and consults.
- Prepares patients for treatment and examination.
- Responsible for conducting clinic sessions and patient care, including conducting EKG’s, finger sticks (glucose and INR), urine dipsticks, any other POC testing, vision testing, assisting with PAP smears, pelvic exams and breast exams, and immunizations.
- Responsible for patient call backs with lab or x-ray results per nurses’ instructions and documenting instructions in patient’s electronic medical record.
- Follows up on “no show” appointments by contacting patients and rescheduling appointments as appropriate. Performs additional follow-up activities as directed by the Nurse. Assists in maintenance of medical records.
- Develops/maintains knowledge of third-party coverage/managed care as necessary to facilitate patient care flow and assure continuity of care, including preparation of appropriate managed care referrals.
- Maintain stocked and clean exam rooms.
- Monitors supply levels and orders supplies as requested.
- Complete lab radiology and ancillary testing forms, including patient demographics and ICD 10 codes, if necessary and stamp correct provider’s name. Prepares referrals as directed by nurses.
- Lab results
- Pull lab results from the computer daily
- Pull charts for abnormal lab results and give to RN for review.
- Sort normal results by physician and give to RN for review and physician sign-off
- Maintain the medical supply closet. This includes the properly disposing expired supplies.
- Assist other staff as needed and/or directed.
- Assists nurses and physicians with procedures as necessary in accordance with standards/protocols. Follows universal precautions, OSHA and HIPAA regulations.
- Demonstrates growth in medical assistant field, attending appropriate continuing education programs to maintain certification/develop skills and knowledge.
- Supports customer service and performance improvement goals of the department; collaborates with other caregivers/staff, within and outside the practice, to develop means of enhancing patient care and service.
- Performs work accurately, thoroughly, in a timely manner, and in accordance with departmental and UMCPP/PHCS standards. Identifies problems and handles/refers them/offer suggestions appropriately. Maintains a positive approach and positive relationships with others. Supports departmental and Medical Center initiatives and change efforts.
- Maintains standards of confidentiality.
- Attends staff meetings and required in-services.
- Actively promotes a culture of Safety and supports compliance with National Patient Safety Goals.
- Possesses the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to meet patients’ physical, psychological and social needs with those growth and development levels/patient populations served within the department.
- Participates in unit compliance as related to established standards, including but not limited to timely completion of UMCPP/PHCS and department-specific required education/competencies, and constructive participation in staff meetings/in-services.
- Distributes mail and faxes.
- Complies with time and attendance policy of UMCP/PHCS.
- MA-AAMA or MA-AMT or MA-NCCT or MA-NHA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 2-4 years' work experience required
Vocational / Technical School / Diploma Program.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE