Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
General Summary Statement
Provides comprehensive, quality nursing care through application of the nursing process. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides age appropriate care for the population served. Considers growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, medication administration, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
- Seeks help from NP’s, RN’s, HIMS Specialist, Phlebotomist and TECH when needed.
- Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
- Ensures attention to patient’s physical, spiritual and emotional well being.
- Demonstrates competency in assessment skills (Includes airway and pulmonary examination according to indicators for age). Utilization of the anesthesia form, Mallampati, and EMR.
- Performs pain assessments and intervenes to optimally meet patient’s needs for comfort.
- Plans, manages and performs clinical care in accordance with policy and procedure, based on patient’s needs and uses available resources and comprehensive interview skills.
- Evaluates outcomes of nursing interventions and takes appropriate actions to move patient toward reaching goals of care.
- Reports change in patient status and abnormal results to Physician, Anesthesiologist, Nurse Practitioner, Physician’s Assistant, RNs and/or Manager when needed.
- Assists Pre-Procedure Testing registration, Phlebotomist, Physician’s Assistant, Nurse Practitioner and RN’s to ensure continuity in processing patients through Pre-Procedure Testing.
- Performs phlebotomy, ECG, MRSA and COVID swabbing per order, when needed.
- Identifies situations that warrant patient rescue and takes appropriate action, e.g. Rapid Response or Code Blue/Pink.
- Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
- Adheres to the Universal Protocol for Patient Identification and Site Identification.
- Maintains patient safety.
- Adheres to aseptic technique as appropriate.
- Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, medications, and clinical information. Seeks clarification from Manager or Physician.
- Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned shift.
- Obtains specific orders for treatment according to assessment by consultation with the Anesthesiologist.
- Facilitates obtaining clearances, and arranges for in person PPT interview as needed.
- Notifies surgical scheduler of additional requirements requested by Anesthesiologist and documents in chart check when needed.
- Conducts and documents pre-operative teaching, over the phone or in person, including day of surgery process, medications, NPO status, and options for anesthesia.
- Facilitates direct interview with Anesthesiologist as needed.
- Consults Anesthesiologist for pediatric patients less than 1-year-old.
- Performs telephone calls to patients that were not seen in the PPT department to obtain medical information and order necessary testing in consultation with the Anesthesiologist.
- Completes medication reconciliation.
- Maintains tracking records of phone interviews.
Education Training and Experience
Graduate of an accredited RN Nursing Program. BSN is required.
Experience in perioperative nursing is preferred. Training and specialty specific education programs are provided during orientation, and must be successfully completed as scheduled.
Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse. Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email and internet. Ability to successfully complete on the job training for CCH computer programs.
Ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
Current Pennsylvania RN License
CPR certification required
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.