Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director Referral Strategy and Integration
Job ID: 197753
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full Time
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Access Center Administration
Location: 1500 Market Street
Hours: Full Time, Per Departmental Needs
The Director of Referral Strategy and Integration is a key leader who is responsible for the creation, alignment, and execution of patient referral strategy and referral project work across the care continuum. The scope of work includes working collaboratively with the Penn Medicine Access Center, Marketing Contact Center, Corporate Services (Access Optimization, Schedgistration, IS), and ambulatory and inpatient clinical leadership to successfully implement patient referral access programs across the health system. The Director of Referral Strategy is responsible for the creation and high-level executive and clinical oversight of a centralized Care Transition Access Team within the Penn Medicine Access Center. This team's scope will include all ambulatory, inpatient, and emergency departments within the downtown entities. Additionally, the Director of Referral Strategy and Integration role is responsible for programmatic oversight of the Spine Access program with key stakeholders in Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Pain Management, and Rehab Medicine.
- Patient Referral and Access Integration Leadership
- Develops, implements, and maintains patient access initiatives consistent with health system ambulatory access strategies. Serves as the primary operational liaison for referral strategy between ambulatory and inpatient departments, corporate services, Marketing Contact Center, and Penn Medicine Access Center to ensure appropriate patient navigation is achieved. Influences alignment between PMMG specialty care and CPUP specialty care as it relates to patient access.
- Responsible for developing multi-disciplinary clinical routines for patients across all Penn Medicine specialties.
- Responsible for the creation, operationalization, and leadership of the to-be-developed centralized Care Transition Access Team, embedded within the Penn Medicine Access Center.
- Responsible for regular reporting cadence on relevant referral program key performance indicators including but not limited to consult/referral volumes, new and return patient appointment volume, scheduling lag times, market demand, and opportunities for expansion. Standardizes access reporting across all specialty programs.
- Works with Corporate leadership, Business Development, and Marketing in developing programs, services, and initiatives that anticipate future customer needs, build customer loyalty, and generate growth.
- Spine Access Program Leadership
- Serves as the operational and clinical leader for the Spine Access program, spanning Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Spine Surgery, Rehab Medicine, and Pain Management.
- Responsible for quarterly Spine Access programmatic reporting on program KPIs and identified opportunities for market growth and development.
- Provides support for physician onboarding and marketing effort related to the Spine Access program.
- Serves as Spine Access program clinical leader, performing necessary chart reviews to ensure appropriate patient navigation.
- Team Building and Professional Development
- Develops credible, competent, accountable, and responsive teams through clearly defined performance and outcome objectives. Ensures management team develops methods, which focus on the improvement of access standards and achievement of intended results.
- Creates and supports an environment that empowers and expects staff to serve as ambassadors; negotiates care needs of patients; contributes to the research agenda; accepts responsibility for their contribution to patient experience and their own growth and professional competencies.
- Models behavior that is conducive to positive employee and patient experience as consistent with organizational values.
- Utilizes human resource management techniques to ensure employee retention and high morale.
- Maintains exemplary relationships with staff using positive and constructive feedback, open lines of communication, and addressing daily operational issues.
- Direct management of employees: direct oversight over the manager of the centralized Care Transition Access Team.
- Oversees time and attendance policy and process; monitors appropriate use of the eStar reports in compliance with FLSA; collaborates with other members of the leadership team to approve leave time per health system policies.
- Continuous Quality Enhancement
- Uses the results of service standards performance as an indicator to identify service improvement needs in a cost-efficient manner. Ensures that service standard performance deficiencies are addressed in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Works collaboratively with members of PMAC, MCC, and health system leadership to review and resolve incidents related to patient access to care.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Healthcare Administration, Nursing or related field required and 10+ years relevant leadership experience.
- Master's Degree, MBA, MHA, MSN or related field and 6+ years relevant leadership experience required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Project management
- Budget management
- Strategic marketing plan development
- Audience Segmentation and pathway development
- Writing and editing skills
- Public speaking, communication skills
- Use of data and analytics to inform strategy
- Leadership among colleagues
- Collaboration, teamwork, and influence
- Client management
- Knowledge of resources, market and business data, and ability to apply this information in the development, implementation, measurement and evaluation of marketing programs
- CRM experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE