Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Histology Technical Supervisor at Penn Medicine
Job ID: 199061
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: M-F
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The incumbent's responsibilities include managing a team of histotechnologists, histotechnicians and technical specialists in a centrally located laboratory at 3020 Market Street in Philadelphia. The lab supports the busy surgical operations at the Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Penn Presbyterian Medical Center and the Pennsylvania Hospital.
- Histology lab produces pathology slides from biopsies and surgical resections for cancer diagnosis and staging. The technical supervisor oversees all the technical lab operations including adequate fixation, timely and accurate tissue processing, embedding and microtomy to allow pathologists render accurate diagnosis within the established national turnaround time benchmarks. The supervisor deploys and develops staining techniques including H&E stains, special stains, immunofluorescence stains, immunohistochemical stains and fluorescent in-situ hybridization stains. The supervisor selects proper control tissues to ensure acceptable technical performance of all stains and procedures in order to support accurate pathologic diagnosis by pathologists. In addition, the supervisor creates histology protocols and workflows for the lab to accurately prepare representative cancer tissue in support of molecular testing and genomic analysis for immunotherapy. The supervisor establishes digital pathology protocols to support remote primary diagnosis by pathologists using digitized slides produced in the lab and supports digital pathology for quality, educational, and archival purposes.
- The supervisor is responsible for the daily technical and administrative operations of their individual laboratory section(s); ensure compliance with institutional and laboratory policies and procedures; evaluate and recommend technical methods based on clinical and financial parameters; ensure that written and approved technical procedures and documentation are maintained for each determination performed; schedules and manage personnel, performs staff evaluations.
- Technical Services: With Medical Director sets strategic direction of section; Approves/develops standard operation procedures; Monitor pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical phases of test systems; Periodically reviews the range and types of tests offered to ensure laboratory services remains supportive of advances in clinical laboratory testing systems; Keeps abreast of technical development in area of specialization; acts as a resource person for the section’s services; maintains technical ability and knowledge required to supervise the performance of any procedure in the section; Assumes overall responsibility for the formulation and monitoring of a Quality Control/Quality Improvement program; takes responsibility for staff errors; Oversees and resolves test system problems for all assays through instrument troubleshooting, assessing operator performance and monitoring trends in patient data and quality control data to determine proper instrument/method performance; Ensure enrollment in appropriate Proficiency Testing programs which meet federal, state and accrediting agency requirements; Manages the entry of results into appropriate database for all proficiency testing results; Monitors workflow and workload within the sections adapts operational plan accordingly in a timely manner; Assists clinicians and researchers in utilizing lab services in support of special projects and research protocols. Meets with clinical research sponsors/auditors to review lab service support for various clinical trials; Manages and eliminates process workarounds; Assures equipment is maintained with appropriate documentation; follows manufacturer’s guidelines and routine preventive maintenance schedules for all equipment in the sections; Assumes bench responsibilities when required; maintains competency in all technical aspects of the section; is able to perform, troubleshoot, and explain each test procedure currently performed in the section; Performs teaching functions with residents and Medical Laboratory Science Students
- Regulatory Compliance: Works with the Division’s Quality Assurance manager in functioning as liaison to accrediting / regulatory agencies in preparation for inspections, site visits, documentation of compliance, deficiency corrections, status changes and licensing renewals; Maintains an updated database related to Federal, State and local government agencies and professional accrediting agencies’ regulatory requirements impacting lab operations including: AABB, CMS(Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services), DOH (Appropriate state Dept. of Health), DOH (Bureau of Laboratories), CAP (College of American Pathologists), CLSI (Clinical laboratory Standards Institute), FDA, FACT, TJC (The Joint Commission), OSHA (Occupational Safety and health Act), NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission), DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency), DOT (Dept. of Transportation: Shipment of Hazardous Material); Ensures that all quality control, instrument records, test records and other documentation are maintained in a manner which complies with all regulatory requirements; Ensures that review of department operating policies and processes are performed within required time limits; Monitors and participates in department efforts to maintain a safe working environment through development of safety policies, ongoing surveillance of environment and work practices. Ensures deficiencies noted are corrected.
- Fiscal Management: Works with Administrative Director or Technical Manager to coordinate and collate department(s) annual capital, payroll and non-payroll budget projection.; Assist finance in preparing appropriate justification and/or RPIs for new program or replacement item funding; Reviews monthly expense reports and variance reports and assists in devising strategies for minimizing expense variances by taking corrective action to resolve unfavorable budget variances; Develops and maintains updated database of cost/test for all tests performed in the laboratory section; Reconciles monthly financial reports with monthly workload volume reports to ensure appropriate billing. Manages inventory through reagent utilization analysis; Collaborates with management to establish competitive pricing for business development by reviewing competitor pricing and recommending adjustments as needed; Plans overall staffing levels and schedules within approved budget; Controls and oversees purchasing of supplies for the section; Assures patient charges are processed accurately
- Staff Development: Ensures all staff involved in moderately complex or highly complex testing meet personnel qualification requirements as defined by federal, state and accrediting agency regulations; Ensures that staff have completed the required annual competencies required to meet regulatory compliance; Completes annual performance review for all individuals under his/her supervision; Mentors and provides opportunities for team members to develop existing and new competencies through routine and on-going coaching and feedback; Guides team in fostering an environment that supports diversity and promotes trust, integrity and high performance; Ensures completion of UPHS mandatory health screenings, annual training programs and performance evaluations for all employees; Collaborates with Human Resources in staff recruitment process; Conducts regular staff meetings to share information, solicit feedback and build productive relationships; Plans and coordinates continuing education programs designed to maintain and increase the technical skills and knowledge of self and assist staff to reach full potential; Continuously communicates to staff the importance of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and sound financial performance; Effective and timely performance management such that: Clearly defines work expectations, Recognizes and rewards individuals for a job well done, Addresses performance issues immediately and directly; Meets regularly with Administrative Director. Ensures that reports and other deliverables are submitted on a timely and accurate basis; Acts as a role model for staff by supporting management’s position, containing and preventing rumors, controlling dissention, promoting patient and staff relations and displaying pride in work; Oversees the training of new employees assigned to the section; assures new hires are adequately trained
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (Required)
- HTL (ASCP)CM or other equivalent certification
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science (Required)
- Biological and Chemical Sciences or related healthcare field
Possess the ability to perform tasks that require accurate and specific color distinction
5+ years Clinical lab experience
Knowledge of, and ability to manage, the general hazards encountered when working with potentially infectious materials, hazardous chemicals, radioisotopes and laboratory equipment.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Preferred)
- Biological and Chemical Sciences or related healthcare field
Additional education and or training in Management or Lab Management
5+ years experience managing high volume clinical labs while meeting superior customer satisfaction expectations.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE