Job ID: 199069
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Nurse Navigator functions as a resource to a multidisciplinary team of specialists as an advocate, interpreter, educator and counselor for the oncology patient, their family, and referring public. The patient navigator is responsible for ensuring patients with an oncology diagnosis receive quality and comprehensive coordinated services. The patient navigator will coordinate care throughout the care continuum in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team. The scope of this work includes facilitating dynamic scheduling for patients, triage services and patients as needed, coordination of care, facilitation of clinical research, integration of clinical activities across various specialties in cancer care.
· Systematically and continually perform the functions of assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of the oncology patient. The Oncology Nurse Navigator will monitor the patient throughout their care in the system.
· Provide education and information to the patient and family, helping to make the care seamless, continuous and comprehensive. Initiate and document patient teaching including family and others, based on assessment of needs and respond to patient request for information regarding the disease process, expected side effects of treatment and community resources.
· Support the family through difficult decision-making periods and assist in coordination of care for the patient and family and provides emotional support.
· Function in an organized and time conscious manner. The Oncology Nurse Navigator partners with patients, families, the interdisciplinary team and community resources to provide well-coordinated, timely compassionate and multidisciplinary care. The Oncology Nurse Navigator communicates with all members of the health care team as appropriate about the patient/family needs and concerns.
· Work across health care disciplines to assist in coordinating patient tests, procedures, appointments and treatments, and assist patients in overcoming barriers to care including transportation, financial counseling, referrals, etc.
· Refer patients for supportive care services including nutritionists, social workers, counselors and financial counselors. Assist eligible patients with access to clinical trials.
· Participate in multidisciplinary consultations and/or tumor conferences and serve as a liaison between the patient and medical staff and services.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.