Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The incumbent's primary responsibility is to oversee the technical, regulatory, and administrative functions of the individual sections within the Division of Transfusion Medicine and Therapeutic Pathology (which includes the Transfusion Service, the Therapeutic Apheresis Service, HPC Collection Center, Stem Cell Processing Lab) to ensure operations are consistent with the goals of the Department and consistent with the mission of the University of Pennsylvania Health System. The Administrative Director is responsible for leading and overseeing the Division's overall operations and technical services, maintaining regulatory compliance, managing personnel and all fiscal affairs.
- Division Operations: In partnership with TM Managers, Sr Director, Section Chiefs, and Medical Director, responsible for ensuring divisional programs/services meet goals and operational performance standards for division. The AD ensures coordination and communication between Blood Bank, Apheresis, and Stem Cell Lab to achieve best practices and a collaborative environment. S/he facilitates partnerships with internal and external stakeholders, and establishes work processes and practices for the Division in support of the department goals, including research participation
- Division Quality/Safety/Regulatory: Partnering with Quality and Safety manager for TM, Director Quality PLM, Medical Director, and Sr. Director, responsible for ensuring the division meets quality/safety standards, maintains the highest quality of work and Quality Improvement opportunities. Responsible for divisional readiness for all professional regulatory and accrediting agencies requirements of the Division including the Food and Drug Administration, the AABB, FACT, DOH, CAP, TJC, and other commercial agencies
- HR: Oversee the leadership in the Division, participate in recruitment, and ensure all competencies, performance reviews and mandated education is complete for the Division staff. Facilitates internal and externship partnerships and an environment of employee engagement and satisfaction
- Finance/Capital: Work with Dept resources on oversight of division budgets. Knowledgeable of monthly variances & trends. Review and analyze financial reports, seeks to reduce wastage and expenses, and look for opportunities to grow revenue in the Division. Level 2 approver for division purchases. Work with Dept resources on routine and major capital project submissions for division. Represent division in prioritization meetings. Complete ROIs as needed
- Contracts: Work with dept resources on contract terms and necessary approvals for divisional contracts
- IT/Data: Work with TM Managers and IT leads for PennChart/Epic, Cerner, Title21 (other divisional systems) to ensure issues, feature/functionality, upgrades, projects and reporting requests are scoped, prioritized, and completed in a timely manner
- Program Growth and Development: Works with Sr. Director, Medical Directors, and other senior leadership to plan for future expansion
- People Growth and Development (Level 4 Manager competencies): Builds effective teams, drives engagement, develops talent
- Space Planning: Work with Dept resources on interim and long term space planning needs for division
- Strategic Planning: Leads and executes planning effort for the division
- Penn Lab interface/leadership: Plays a leadership role in Penn Lab initiatives involving the division
Education or Equivalent Experience:
· Bachelor’s of Science degree with 6+ years of related experience
· Master’s degree (preferred)
· ASCP (preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.