Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
RN Bedside Neonatal ICU
Job ID: 199447
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 7:00pm-7:30am
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
General Summary Statement
Provides comprehensive, quality nursing care through application of the nursing process. Adheres to Nursing Policies and Procedures and Organizational Goals and Objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides age appropriate care for the population served. Gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, medication administration, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
- Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
- Ensures attention to patient’s physical, spiritual and emotional well being.
- Demonstrates competency in assessment skills (Includes admission and shift assessments).
- Performs pain assessments and intervenes to optimally meet patient’s needs for comfort.
- Plans clinical care based on patient’s needs and uses available resources.
- Performs clinical care in accordance with policy and procedure.
- Performs peripheral venipuncture and peripheral and central vascular access care according to policy & procedure.
- Evaluates outcomes of nursing interventions and takes appropriate actions to move patient toward reaching goals of care.
- Identifies situations that warrant patient rescue and takes appropriate action, e.g. Rapid Response or Code Blue/Pink.
- Adheres to the 5 rights of medication administration and uses the Medication Administration Check (MAK) system per policy and procedure.
- Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
- Adheres to aseptic technique as appropriate.
- Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, medications, and clinical information.
- Prioritizes and organizes work effectively within assigned shift.
- Assesses the NICU patient and family, plans and initiates care and evaluates the effectiveness of interventions, including but not limited to: Cardiopulmonary monitoring, Homodynamic monitoring, Pulse Oximetry, transcutaneous monitoring, Respiratory Support, Central Line/IV therapy (including medication administration), sedation, NG/OG/ND feedings, phototherapy, thermoregulation
- Demonstrates competency and knowledge in Neonatal Care: Respiratory Distress, Apnea/Bradycardia, Hypothermia, Hypoglycemia, Sepsis, Infection Prevention, Kangaroo care, Breastfeeding, Developmental Care
- Maintains patient safety through utilization of the newborn identification process, minimizes the infant’s separation from the family, promotes a sense of control for the family
Education Training and Experience
Graduate of an accredited Nursing Program. BSN is required.
Minimum of 1 year full time, Level III experience required.
Basic computer skills: keyboard, mouse use. Ability to complete data entry on clinical documentation screens. Ability to use email and internet. Ability to successfully complete on the job training for CCH computer programs.
Ability to speak, read, write and understand English.
Current Pennsylvania RN License.
CPR certification required.
NICU: NRP certification required, or must complete within 12 months of hire. STABLE preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE