Job ID: 199313
Category: Genetics/Genetics Counseling
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Per Departmental Needs
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Entity: The Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania
Location: Penn Medicine Radnor
Hours: Day shift, Full Time
Department: Med Hematology Oncology
Penn Medicine is hiring a genetic counselor. The genetic counselor will be based in Med Hematology-Oncology, and they will provide risk assessment, genetic testing, and care coordination for patients with suspected hereditary cancer risk. The genetic counselor will practice mainly in Radnor/Valley Forge, PA but will be welcomed into a Penn Medicine genetic counseling network that services patients across other Penn sites in the region (Cherry Hill, Philadelphia, Princeton, Chester County, Lancaster).
· Prepare for cases by identifying relevant medical records and working with administrative team to ensure that these are obtained.
· Collect and evaluate patient medical history, construct a pedigree using appropriate nomenclature.
· Perform comprehensive genetic risk assessment, explain natural history of diagnosis, explain relevant genetic factors, explain available testing and facilitate testing.
· Interpret genetic test results and communicate to patients and other healthcare professionals.
· Perform psychosocial assessment.
· Document clinical encounter; write clinic notes, physician letters, patient letters, and other communications.
· Collaborate with supervising physicians/providers and other care providers.
· Begin to recognize areas for process improvement within the clinic.
· Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
· Demonstrate an interest in growth through participation in professional activities.
· Serves as clinical resource for staff within the unit and communicates effectively.
Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization UPHS.
Manages conflict situations effectively with a minimum of noise.
Interpersonal savvy relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
Tech savvy anticipating and adopting innovations in business-building digital and technology applications.
Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
Manages ambiguity operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
Being resilient rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
Nimble learning actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Master's Degree ACGC accredited genetic counseling training program And 1+ years Demonstrated effective communication within a clinical setting to contribute to continuity of care.
One year clinical genetic counseling experience or relevant clinical rotation experience.
Experience working within an academic health care setting preferred.
Familiarity with an electronic medical record systems comparable in complexity currently utilized EPIC EMR.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.