Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 152433
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: To Be Determined
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Primary duty is to transport patients throughout the medical complex in a safe, courteous, and timely manner. Responds to code calls and as part of the hospital emergency preparedness plans for internal and external emergency management. Assist with patient movement when transferring from bed to wheelchair or stretcher. Transports deceased patients to the hospital morgue. Update tracking system through use of a cell phone to maintain accurate locations and times associated with patient transports.
- Assists patients with transfer to wheelchairs, stretchers, beds, procedure tables and transports patients throughout the medical center providing superior customer service while utilizing hospital approved lifting devices and proper techniques. Demonstrates an awareness of patient/ employee safety. This is to include, but not limited to appropriate isolation precautions and minor patient care duties while the patient is in transit. Assists hospital staff with the movement of patients as needed.
- Responds to emergency situations and code calls in a safe and timely manner. Alerts care providers immediately to any signs of patient distress, equipment malfunction, and unsafe conditions as well as the shift coordinator/manager or the dispatcher.
- Secures patient and any appropriate equipment prior to lifts or transports. When required assures adequate oxygen tank, IVs, drainage tubes, etc. are available prior to start of transport and upon arrival at destination. Assures that an adequate hand-off has occurred with every patient transport.
- Promptly logs into PennChart Epic system. Advises dispatcher of availability in a timely manner. Acknowledges receipt of assignment, updates whereabouts immediately upon arrival and exit from location or destination, and acknowledges completion of assignments in real time.
- Follows hospital established, policies, procedures and protocols for checking in patients and verifying their identity. Ensures “Ticket to Ride” is updated accordingly, always including date, time and signature of Transporter and RN.
- Maintains patient's chart during transport and ensures confidentiality of patient information at all times. Maintain equipment in working order when not assigned to active transports. Follows Department policies for equipment and supply use, cleaning and maintenance. This includes the collecting of excess equipment from throughout the facility.
- Communicate all information accurately, clearly, concisely and professionally to ensure understanding. Considers needs of family members and visitors of patients.
- Supports team members by assisting with work processes other than assigned role as required or necessary based on daily workloads. This may include mentoring new staff.
- Transports specimens, blood and blood products, document, equipment and supplies as needed at the PAH and CCH entities.
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Basic Cardiac Life Support
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 0-1 years patient transport or direct patient contact
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE