Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Decentralized Discharge Pharmacy Technician
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 199876
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Responsible for processing prescriptions through the pharmacy system including adjudication of claims to third party insurance plans on the patient care units, assist with filling medication orders (timely and accurately), collect medication histories as part of the medication reconciliation process, and participate in multidisciplinary rounds. The DDP Technician facilitates the delivery of medications to patients and their families in the hospital and clinic setting, coordinates payments and communicate issues to the pharmacist and to the Prior Authorization Team as needed. Excellent communication skills are required for interacting with patients and their families via telephone and/or in person. Additional responsibilities include participation in service line meetings as required, inventory management, processing co-pay cards issued by drug company programs for eligible patients and completing prior authorizations according to the volume on the assigned unit. The successful candidate will be conscientious and focused on all patient needs relative to the discharge medication process. (Outpatient Pharmacy - 3400 Spruce Street Philadelphia, PA)
- Determines patient insurance requirements for pre-certification, patient payments and coverage limitation and the necessary action(s) prior to discharge.
- Maintain communication with ambulatory based clinical pharmacist, social worker, discharge and specialty pharmacy program team members as needed to obtain complete, accurate financial information required for claim adjudication.
- Immediately communicate any issue with coverage to the clinical practice to determine the appropriate next steps.
- Communicates benefit investigation information proactively to the clinical practices and to patients.
- Supports all myPennPharmacy services as needed.
- Collaborates with internal team members to gather appropriate paperwork, prescription, billing information, and/or prescription(s).Provides follow-up relating to the communication to patients, clinical practices, and family for pharmaceutical needs and/or additional eligibility information to ensure on-going medication access.
- Interacts with medical staff and their designees to obtain complete, accurate, and timely clinical and financial information required for payer reimbursement.
- Provides education to patients and clinical practices regarding patient insurance coverage as it relates to their discharge medications.
- Certified Pharmacy Technician - PTCB (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- And 3+ years' experience as a certified pharmacy technician in a retail/outpatient pharmacy environment. (required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE