Job ID: 201720
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: PT -19 HOURS
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Sat/Sun 11am-11pm or Fri/Sat/Sun 3pm-11:30pm or Sa
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Sat/Sun 11am-11pm or Fri/Sat/Sun 3pm-11:30pm or Sat/Sun/Mon 3pm-11:30pm
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Introduces self when interacting with patients, families, visitors or other employees.
2. Accomplishes routine and stat testing within established guidelines and produces accurate results. Makes correct judgments about the validity of test results based on quality control data and patient status.
3. Accommodates increased workload at peak times and maintains quality of results
4. Performs testing independently, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of department protocols and theoretical aspects of testing procedures.
5. Maintains complete and accurate logs or documents including QC, as required, according to section protocols.
6. Uses autoverification and associated technologies to release results where validated. Verifies non-autoverified results before release. Consults supervisor for assistance when necessary
7. Recognizes critical values and reportable results according to protocol.
8. Reports critical results appropriately to authorized caregivers and documents this action in the laboratory information system.
9. Reports and documents QA related incidents to the section supervisor and the Laboratory’s Quality Manager.
10. Understands and performs information system functions necessary for operations
11. Demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving and knows when to seek appropriate consultation.
12. Familiarity with Laboratory Exposure Control Plan which includes the Chemical Hygiene Plan, Hazard Communication Program and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen standard and applies standard precautions to work practices and knows how to appropriately deal with chemical or biological spills.
13. Demonstrates safe practices in the performance of assigned job duties.
14. Reports any unsafe practices or conditions to appropriate responsible parties.
Education Training and Experience
Associates Degree required, BS degree with MLS or MT preferred. Certifications, education, and/or experience must meet CLIA requirements for moderate and high complexity testing. Instrumentation experience preferred.
MLS(ASCP), MT (ASCP), MLT (ASCP), MT(HEW) must have certification within a year of hire.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.