Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
OR Technologist - Weekend w/ Operating Room @ Hospital Of University of Pennsylvania
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 201365
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Provides supportive nursing care to selected patients under direction and supervision of the professional nurse; facilitates patient care by meeting specific nursing care requirements and assists in performance of patient care measures; informs the registered nurse of any signs, symptoms of untoward responses.
- Carries out HUP fire and safety regulations.
- Promotes infection control: ◦Washes hands before and after patient contact. ◦ Carries out isolation procedures according to Infection Control Manual. Deals with blood and body fluids according to the standard precautions policy. ◦ Reports needle stick injuries to charge nurse. ◦ Reports exposure to communicable diseases and infections.
- Demonstrates principles of aseptic technique in clinical practice.
- Follows aseptic technique when opening sterile supplies.
- Sterilizes instruments and supplies in autoclaves as directed by Perioperative policies.
- Follows department policy on scrubbing, setup, gowning and gloving.
- Observes for contamination and/or breaks in aseptic technique.
- Drapes the patient with sterile materials in the manner directed by the surgeon or RN circulator.
- Demonstrates proper handling of implants and prosthesis.
- Follows proper procedure for handling contaminated instruments after procedure i.e. cleans case cart after removing instruments.
- Uses appropriate instrument tables for each case i.e. back and side tables.
- As needed, maintain supplies such as IV fluids, needles and syringes
- Aware of legal responsibilities regarding instrument, needles and sponge counts.
- Follows policy for case with incorrect counts, reports and documents discrepancies appropriately.
- Counts and signs items as dictated per OR count policies. • Follows safe practice when drugs and solutions are placed on the sterile field.
- Labels all drugs and solutions properly. • Assist in the proper labeling, handling of all surgical specimens.
- Utilizes policies and procedures as a resource
- Routinely attends in-service programs
- Demonstrates the ability to facilitate each case progression in a timely manner.
- When prompted provides relief staff with accurate report
- Modifies scrubbing procedures based on patient’s individual needs.
- Able to set up procedure in a timely manner.
- Responds to an emergency situation with the help of other team members.
- Learns to identify and report defective instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Maintains a safe environment by learning and following safety rules.
- Respects patient’s rights to privacy, safety and dignity i.e. HIPPA.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Learns teamwork by assisting other team members in such activities as room turnover.
- Learns concepts of continuous quality improvement.
- Make observations-plan and organize work, assess patient needs under the supervision of registered nurse.
- Certification: i) has successfully completed a surgical technologist program sponsored by an entity holding nationally recognized institutional or programmatic accreditation and holds and maintains a surgical technologist certification from an accredited certification program. (ii) has successfully completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the United States Army, Navy or Air Force; or (iii) provides evidence that the individual maintains a surgical technologist certification from an accredited certification program or was employed to practice surgical technology by the health care facility on or before December 29, 2020, or was employed to practice surgical technology as the individual's primary function in another health care facility at any time during the two years immediately preceding December 29, 2020. (IV) A health care facility may employ or contract an individual to practice surgical technology during the six-month period immediately following successful completion of a surgical technology program under paragraph (1) (i), but may not continue to be employed or contracted with beyond that period without documentation that the individual has obtained certification as required under paragraph (1) (i).
- BCLS Preferred
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduate of a Surgical Technologist training program or practical nurse program.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE