Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Nursing Assistant (CNA)- HUP Gift of Life ICU- Part-Time
Job ID: 201194
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The HUP Gift of Life ICU is looking for an experienced CNA to join the team! The position is part-time (two 12-hour shifts per week) with an every-third weekend requirement. The ideal candidate will have previous hospital experience.
Gift of Life Donor Program and Penn Medicine have opened the Gift of Life Donor Care Center at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP). As the first intensive care unit in the Northeast U.S. exclusively dedicated for deceased organ donors, the Center is staffed by top clinical experts with access to advanced medicine, tools, and technology that will maximize the impact of each donor’s life-saving gifts.
Located within HUP, the Donor Care Center will be open 24/7 365 days a year for deceased donors who meet specific clinical criteria, and with their family’s support, to be transferred from hospitals across Gift of Life’s region, which spans the eastern half of Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey, and Delaware. The Center is focused on the timely evaluation, allocation, and recovery of precious organs to increase opportunities for successful transplants. The specialized, first-of-its-kind space in this area also benefits the region’s health care systems, creating capacity specifically to help hospitals to best allocate ICU and OR spaces for patients.
- The Nursing Assistant supports the practice by collecting and reporting patient data and incorporating organizational competencies while working under the direct supervision of the Nurse Practitioners and Registered Nurses.
- Prepares exam rooms for provider evaluation of patients. Maintains adequate stock levels of medical supplies and other required items in the exam rooms. Performs appropriate inventory control methods; orders medical supplies to ensure ongoing patient care isn’t compromised by lack of necessary items. Assists with data collection for nursing history and physical (vital signs, height, weight, blood sugar results, functional status) and communicates changes to the RN or CRNP in a timely fashion. Provides patient and family information to the RN or CRNP for coordination of care. Retrieves supplies from medical supply vendors or in-house sources. Secures stock items in appropriate location. Delivers patient specific items to the assigned RN or CRNP. Maintains a safe environment and protects the patient from injury by observing the patient who may be at risk for falls, confusion, disorientation, wandering or suicidal behaviors. Participates in staff meetings. Performs periodic quality control on urinalysis and pregnancy tests. Assists the physician or CRNP to perform physical exams. Documents findings and patient results on patient documents and in the patients EMR. Assists in evaluating nursing care given by comparing the patient's functional status from day to day and discussing this with the nurse.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- CNA Certification by the State of Pennsylvania
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Previous hospital experience preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE