Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Surgical Technologist - Operating Room @ Penn Presbyterian Medical Center - Full Time
Job ID: 201696
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full-Time 40 hours per week
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Surgical Technologist I assumes the responsibility for scrub functions in the operating room. All ST entry level, Department and hospital mandatory education fulfilled. Beginning, safe practitioner is proactive in their approach to patient care and department operations.
- Demonstrates technical competence in skills needed to function in scrub role.
- Demonstrates knowledge of aseptic techniques as reflected by appropriate aseptic practice in the OR setting.
- Demonstrates acceptable organizational skills during assigned surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates proper use of equipment and ability to troubleshoot in a timely manner.
- Recognizes acute patient changes during procedure and responds appropriately in a timely manner.
- Recognizes stressful situations in which assistance is required and seeks appropriate resources in a timely manner.
- Functions with moderate supervision in a manner appropriate for level of clinical experience.
- Practices in accordance with the Patients Bill of Rights.
- Carries out unit specific duties and other duties as directed by the nurse manager.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care/service based on physical, psychosocial, education, safety, and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients/customers served in assigned area.
- Actions demonstrate an understanding of appropriate safety and infection control techniques and OR/Hospital policies in these areas.
- Adheres to practice standards specific to OR and utilizes departmental resources and manuals to integrate standards into personal practice.
- BASELINE REQUIREMENTS:
- The employee adheres to established policies and procedures and has no more than a counseling notice in a 12-month period.
- Completes all mandatory in-services including annual update, infection control, right to know, body mechanics, and radiation safety. Documents this on in-service record.
- Attends 85% of staff meetings and/or documents 100% review of minutes.
- Adheres to professional image guidelines.
- Attends a minimum of five hours education time and/or taking one course towards advanced education in a health-related field. Education time includes in-services and contact hours.
- TB Screening.
- Effectively communicates with surgical team during procedure to contribute to the Plan of Care.
- Communicates with team members in an open, positive, and appropriate manner.
- Accepts delegation in a positive manner.
- Assures completion of individual assignment.
- Facilitates and demonstrates teambuilding.
- Displays a positive attitude, which is supportive and open to departmental changes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of unit based PI studies as evidenced by ability to identify unit indicators and complete data collection as directed.
- Utilizes supplies and equipment in a cost-effective manner.
- Participates in and supports departmental and organizational efforts to improve performance and meet patient care needs.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Successful completion of a Surgical Technologist program sponsored by an entity holding nationally recognized institutional or programmatic accreditation and holds and maintains a Surgical Technologist certification from an accredited certification program. An individual may be hired and work as a Surgical Technologist without certification for a period of six months immediately following successful completion of an approved surgical technology program.
- Certified Surgical Technologist (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE