Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 201915
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full Time
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Emergency Department
Location: 3400 Spruce Street
Hours: Per Departmental Needs
- Provide financial support to the Director of Finance and department leadership in the development of strategic, financial and operation plans.
- Provide support to the Finance department in management of the department's financial reporting, planning, leadership and business consulting support to enable the entity leadership team to make wise decisions and accomplish its access, quality, service and operating goals.
- Staff development including recruitment, performance management, development and retention of team members. Easily accessible to staff members and trains users of financial systems. Functions as the Director of Finance in his/her absence.
- Supervises professional level and support level staff.
- Perform key financial planning services include results reporting, performance analysis, program evaluation (pro forma), budgeting and forecasting, and modeling while promoting effective and efficient controls. Manages the production and distribution of monthly financial reports.
- Monitor daily business transactions, accounting activities including accounts payable/accounts receivable processing, payroll processing, monthly variance analysis, CER facilitation, contract management, billing compliance and other duties for respective agency in conjunction with state and federal rules and regulations. Prepares semiannual incentive payments template worksheet for COO and Chair completion.
- Budget and Operations Planning and Analysis - development, implementation, and facilitation of capital and operating budgets using system-wide standards and processes.
- Prepares internal financial statements accurately and in a timely manner. Presents financials to departmental leadership on a monthly basis. Works closely with faculty division/program chiefs on monthly income statements. Works closely with Manager of Grants and Contracts to be sure University Accounts are managed accurately and appropriately.
- Analyzes variance between actual data in comparison to budget. Prepares written variance explanations for financial statements.
- Functions as a liaison with the regulatory agencies in preparation for the Quarter and Annual Financial Audits, in preparation of the 990, Cost Report, JCAHO and Medicare Audits, as well as participates on the Project Management Team and CQI Team.
- Facilitate operational changes on various projects to ensure successful financial outcomes.
- Assures direct reports follow all policies and procedures regarding the processing of data and management of information.
- Works closely with entity finance staff on purchased services IET, programmatic support IET, shared risk programs and related matters.
- Supervises support staff in the finance office and assures technology is utilized for maximum accuracy and efficiency.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required.
- 5+ years of experience in a financial setting; 1 year of which was in a management/supervisor role. Thorough knowledge of healthcare accounting preferably in an academic environment.
- Master's Degree, MBA or MS, in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- Reporting and budgeting of revenue management; fiscal management preferred.
- Basic Understanding of data analytics reports and report language preferred.
- Ability to learn and efficiently use other finance systems preferred.
- Knowledge of Hyperion Software (Essbase), (Hyperion Planning); EPIC; Lawson preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data in order to coordinate the preparation of financial records required.
- Knowledge of healthcare operations and data structures and the use of information system applications in the practicing healthcare environment required.
- Strong financial and budget management skills required.
- Demonstrated financial management skills required.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point, Word required.
- Working knowledge of General Ledger systems (preferably Lawson) and the Pillar budget system required.
- Excellent problem analysis skills and articulate communicator of complex technical and business topics required.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, ability to operate with limited direction; ability to multi-task; high level attention to detail required.
- Experience using EPIC preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE