Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Emergency Dept Technician- HUP Pavilion- Emergency Department- Full-Time
Job ID: 202306
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The HUP ED is looking for an ED Tech to join the team! We are looking for candidates who are opening to working days and evenings.
- The Emergency Department Technician is an integral member of the health care team who delivers quality care through collaboration and communication with team members. They work under the direct supervision of the registered nurse to support and assist the nurse in the delivery of quality care to patients and families. Some of the major responsibilities will include collection and reporting of patient data, incorporating organizational competencies of superior quality care and assuming responsibility and accountability for their role performance outcomes while supporting HUP's Standards of Excellence.
- Evaluation Assists in evaluating nursing care given by comparing the patient's functional status from day to day and discussing this with the nurse.Documentation Documents findings, interventions and patient outcome results on patient documents. This may include I&O, VS, Bladder scanner results, pulse ox results, glucometer results or other findings. Documents using complete signature. Documents in Penn Chart all interventions and findings.Intervention Promotes infection control by using the appropriate hand washing techniques. Follows standard precautions and any other isolation precautions as dictated by the patient’s condition. Maintains a safe environment and protects the patient from injury by observing the patient whomay be at risk for falls, confusion, disorientation, wandering or suicidal behaviors; follows Constant Observation Policy. Applies and monitors patients in restraints per policy and per medical order. Observes or monitors behavior/health state and responses to therapy. a)Temperature, Pulse, Respiration. Blood Pressure Neurological Checks. Vascular Checks Height and Weight Intake and Output Bowel and Bladder Function Checks Pain Communicates pertinent observations to appropriate members of the health care team in a timely fashion. Participates in multidisciplinary rounds in the Emergency Department. Performs patient care rounds per unit policy. Participates in staff and unit council meetings. Works in collaboration with all members of the healthcare team. Reports findings to nurse concerning the patient and or family which may impact patient care. Performs or assists the patient with activities of daily living such as bathing, (bed, tub, shower, or sitz) grooming, eating, feeding, range of motion, ambulating, transferring and oral hygiene. Participates in the prevention and treatment of skin breakdown. Applies current accepted methods of heat and cold therapy as directed by the nurse. Provides for the patient’s oral dietary needs using currently accepted methods. Provides for the elimination needs by giving a bed pan, urinal, emptying urinary and or bowel appliances or implementing the bowel program under the direction of the RN. Assists with colostomy irrigations. Applies urosheath/condom catheter. Removes foley catheter as directed by the nurse and monitors urinary out put as directed. Administers cleansing enemas as ordered. Performs post mortem care. Assists the physician to perform physical exams. Assists with oxygen therapy only and does not regulate the flow of oxygen. Encourage the use of the pulmonary toilet by using the incentive spirometer, coughing, turning and deep breathing. Utilizes the appropriate equipment for patient lifting. Participates in Quality Monitoring Procedures. a)Daily accucheck controls. Twice daily code cart checks for defibrillator and code cart operations Resuscitation bay checklist every shift. Daily Clinitek controls. Reinforces health care instruction to patients according to the directions of the nurse. Displays competence in using the following equipment and reports findings to the registered nurse: Pulse oximeter. 12 Lead ECG. Vital sign machine. Blanket warmer. Clinitek machine. Glucometer. Foley removal. Lift and transfer devices. Patient warming and cooling machines. Defibrilllator. Provides 1:1 observation for patients. Perform phlebotomy and IV insertion as directed by the RN. Intermittent catheters may only be connected to a closed end (cap). Assists professional staff with: Discontinuing INT. Spinal immobilization including use of cervical collar and backboard. 12 lead EKG. Casting and splinting. Crutch fitting and ambulation. Irrigate wounds. Resuscitative efforts. Transports patients to diagnostic testing or to other patient care areas. ED Technicians certified in ACLS or who have successfully completed the telemetry transport course may transport stable telemetry patients according to hospital policy.Planning Assists in setting mutually agreed upon realistic individual patient goals. Integrates the RN’s directions re: the patient’s plan of care into the care given to the patient. Gives RN report before the end of the shift regarding the patient’s response to the plan of care issues, and at various times during the shift to report unusual findings e.g., abnormal blood sugar results, vital sign changes, pain etc. Participate in unit upkeep and cleanliness of the Emergency Department.Assists in Assessment Identifies the patient per hospital policy before carrying out functions. Assists with data collection for nursing history and physical e.g., vital signs, height weight, blood glucose results, point of care testing results, functional status and communicates changes to the RN in a timely fashion. Participates in respectful communication with patients, families and co workers. Provides patient and family information to the registered nurse for coordination of care and discharge planning. Observes skin changes and reports discoloration, abrasions, infestations, or skin breakdown.Report Receives written/verbal report at the beginning of each shift from the registered nurse (RN) regarding the care that is to be delivered to the assigned group of patients, or for patient needing constant observation. Gives report when leaving unit, and at the completion of the shift regarding the care that was delivered; any abnormalities that occur during the shift are to be reported as they occur to the RN as well as to the oncoming Emergency Department Technician.
- EMT or CNA or matriculating nursing student that has successfully completed clinical rotation required.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE