Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
AVP Behavioral Health Nursing Services
Job ID: 202128
Work Type: FT
Location: Princeton, NJ, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Behavioral Health Nursing Services maintains the responsibility, authority and accountability for patient care administration and nursing practice in defined areas of responsibility at Princeton House Behavioral Health (PHBH) and for the creation of a caring environment and culture that enables PHBH/PMPH to fulfill its mission and meet or exceed its goals. The AVP assists the Senior Vice President of PHBH to develop, implement and direct Princeton House strategic objectives, patient care-related performance improvements, and relevant annual operating budgets, while supporting the mission, vision and values, evidenced based practice, and policies of PMPH throughout defined areas of responsibility. The AVP participates with corporate and local leadership teams as well as the Medical Staff in decision-making structures and processes, and is responsible for leadership of the PHBH inpatient and outpatient Behavioral Health Nursing Service. The AVP functions as the leader of all nursing-related administrative operations and fiscal responsibilities, provides solutions, leadership and administration of staff and assures all PHBH nursing services maintain compliance with State and Regulatory agencies. Responsible for achieving and sustaining high patient, physician and employee satisfaction, the AVP enhances quality through strong performance improvement programs, promoting positive staff attitudes, professional autonomy, effective communication, collaboration, creativity, and optimal productivity.
- 1. Provides clinical leadership and supports PHBH governance to ensure a proper framework for the safety and quality of patient care, treatment and services practiced in defined areas of responsibility.2. Provides for and promotes a well-managed hospital and behavioral health care system, with clear lines of responsibility and accountability, including providing the framework for planning, directing, coordinating, providing and improving care, treatment and services that improve health outcomes and are responsive to both patient and community needs.3. Accountable for the measurement, assessment and improvement in nurse-sensitive patient and organizational outcomes, as well as the assurance of a professional nursing practice environment in which registered nurses are autonomous, govern their practice and are empowered to provide effective, efficient, safe and compassionate quality care.4. Develops, implements, and evaluates nursing policies and procedures, nursing standards of patient care, treatment and services and standards of nursing practice in a defined area of responsibility. Ensures that patients with comparable needs receive the same standard of care, treatments and services.5. Develops and implements strategies to recruit, develop and retain qualified nursing staff.6. Defines the required qualifications and competence of nursing department personnel and recommends a sufficient number of qualified and competent staff to provide care, treatment and services. Has the authority to hire, fire, and counsel as outlined in Human Resources policies.7. Identifies and provides the resources necessary for achieving educational objectives; plans for and supports the provision and coordination of patient and staff education activities appropriate to the mission, vision and values of the organization.8. Ensures that all services in defined areas of responsibility at PHBH are in accordance with applicable licensure requirements, laws, rules and regulations. Acts on reports and/or recommendations from authorized agencies, as appropriate.9. Develops and monitors annual nursing operating budgets and, as appropriate, a long-term capital expenditure plan.10. Ensures the mission, vision and values of PHBH and PMPH are reflected in long range, strategic and operational plans, resource allocation and organizational policies.OTHER JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES11. Continuously evaluates core processes to improve performance in the area of operations, cost, and service.12. Supports research and its integration into nursing and the delivery of healthcare services.13. Participates in and assumes a leadership role within PHBH as well as any entity (PMPH) and enterprise-wide (Penn Medicine) committees of relevance.14. Develops plans, manages processes and participates in performance improvement activities in defined areas of responsibility PHBH.15. Allocates adequate resources for measuring, assessing and improving the hospital’s performance and improving patient safety. These include ensuring there is sufficient personnel to conduct activities as well as adequate time and information systems to participate in and support safety and performance and improvement. Ensures that all staff in defined areas of responsibility are trained in performance improvement and safety improvement approaches and methods.16. Considers clinical practice guidelines when designing or improving processes, as appropriate. Reviews clinical practice guidelines with other appropriate leaders, practitioners, and health care professionals. Approves the clinical practice guidelines selected for implementation in defined areas at PHBH. The clinical practice guidelines should be consistent with the mission, vision and values of PMPH and implemented through staff communication, training, implementation, feedback and evaluation.17. Provides consultation on complex projects and is considered a top level contributor/specialist.
- Registered Nurse - NJ (Required)
- Active licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse in the State of NJ required
Certification in psychiatric nursing and/or addictions preferred - or timeline to complete preferred
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Education Specialization:
- Equivalent Experience: Or 10+ years PhD, DNO or equivalent degree in Mental Health nursing or other related specialty field preferred; absent a doctorate, MSN with 10+ years' experience required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE