Job ID: 199387
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Nursing Support Associate, under the direction and supervision of the Nurse Manager, and in cooperation with all members of the patient care teams, assists in maintaining the condition of the unit’s physical environment; sets up equipment and supplies for selected patient care activities; moves and transports patients; performs a wide range of customer relations, complies with applicable regulatory functions; and conducts supply functions to fully support patient care activities on the assigned unit.
The support service associate is expected to promote organizational values of patient and visitor satisfaction by demonstrating courtesy and respect for patients and their families, visitors and other employees; and by working collaboratively with health professionals and staff.
· Removes linen from patient care areas.
· Changes linen on unoccupied patient beds.
· Distributes water pitchers, cups, and straws.
· Assists in the management of patient belongings by conducting an inventory, securing and
transporting patient belongings.
· Performs constant observation to help meet unit needs.
· Distributes mail.
· Restocks patient education materials.
· Performs errands to meet the needs of patients and patient care unit.
Provision of transportation-related duties:
1. Obtains equipment required for the physical transport of unit patients.
2. Transports patients to destinations throughout HUP system in a safe, courteous and timely manner.
3. Obtains all necessary medical information (e.g., medical records), equipment and supplies (e.g., I.V.
poles, stretcher, gowns, masks).
4. Documents of patient transfer in NaviCare.
Assures adequate inventory of patient care supplies:
1. Maintains supply and equipment inventories and par levels.
2. Inventories, orders, and/or stocks appropriate unit supplies.
3. Orders patient care equipment from Materials Management.
4. Returns used equipment to appropriate areas from patient room and general care unit.
5. Cleans unit-based equipment.
6. Identifies malfunctioning equipment and facilitates necessary repairs.
7. Authorized to access secured area to obtain intravenous solutions and medication preparation
supplies for the purpose of stocking and maintaining pars in the medication carts.
8. Retrieves supplies and medications/blood products from tube system. Secures stock items in
appropriate location. Delivers patient specific medications/blood products to the assigned nurse.
9. Stocks unit-specific carts (e.g., dressing carts).
10. Stocks patient rooms with unit-specific equipment.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
High school education or its equivalent.We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.