Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Assistant Director Materials Management Ops Value Analysis -PPMC
Job ID: 203415
Category: Materials Management/Purchasing/Contracts Management
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Days 40 hours per week
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
There is an Assistant Director opportunity in the Materials Management and Value Analysis Operations department at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
The Assistant Director of Materials Management Operations & Value Analysis primary responsibility will be to provide leadership
and support to all Materials Management Operations to include Supply Chain Management oversight to the Storeroom and
Receiving by managing the areas of inventory control, supply distribution, expense reduction, supply utilization and
standardization. Value Analysis Responsibilities: With the Materials Management Director performs duties related to the Penn
Presbyterian Medical Center Value Analysis Program such as cost-effective utilization of products, support of Value Analysis
objectives, management of data, coordination of product and purchased service evaluation processes, coordinates and assists in
the education processes regarding value analysis, participates as a member/chair/co-chair of any related committees as needed.
- Responsible for supply chain logistics of stock and non-stock supply items.
- Act as liaison between the department, vendors and corporate purchasing.
- Compares price, specifications, warranties, service agreements delivery dates, shipping terms and directs the proper
preparation and mailing of purchases.
- Keeps Director informed of current activities, any major discrepancies with vendors and any significant changes in the
market place, which might affect the department.
- Searches for improved and/or less costly materials and supplies within the classifications assigned.
- Reconciles invoices with the Accounts Payable Department when price and other items do not agree with the purchase
- When necessary uses Lawson System to enter all required data for generating purchase orders through the automated
- ordering system.
- Executes follow-up to assure prompt delivery of materials and/or effective performance of services on a regularly schedules
- Reviews open purchase order files on a weekly basis for overdue shipments and back orders, and reconciles
discrepancies with the vendor.
- Insures that internal staff has complied with all purchasing procedures.
- Provides proper guidance when necessary for obtaining proper returns authorization and credit memos.
- Assures that all purchase transactions are properly documented for the legal record, both within Lawson and in the hard
- Keep files updated and organized for all inventory (maintains Commitment logs monthly). Prepares reports on inventory
costs, utilization and volumes as requested by the Director of Materials Management on a monthly basis.
- Keep current price and product information on file at all times. Notifies the Director of Material Management of new
products, changes in pricing or discounts when appropriate.
- Provides recommendations for the maintenance of appropriate inventory levels, or disposition of excess stock.
- Assists with reviewing all purchasing contracts for product-standardization, evaluation analysis.
- Evaluates the cost benefits of product changes for standardization and/or contract/vendor changes and makes
recommendations for action to the Director of Materials Management.
- Initiates studies for new or alternative sources of products to ensure maximum cost effectiveness.
- Evaluates all-encompassing kits/trays versus individual component parts for maximum cost-effectiveness.
- Evaluates the cost effectiveness of Reusable vs. Disposable products for potential reprocessing.
- • Maintains effective control of department inventories and provides annual inventory to Finance
- Acts as liaison between Materials Management, CV Section, IR and Infusion with Administration.
- Provide monthly reports on Inventory valuation in areas of responsibility.
- Maintains ongoing records for Lawson/Optime interfaces, relative to audit and change management.
- Device Return Log oversight
- Implant records maintenance.
- ECRI Product Recall data base & Committee participation.
- Fixes Item Master issues when necessary.
- Assigns Cycle Counts to Supervisor.
- Prepares New Product Item Adds requests and submits to the Director every Monday.
- Ensures that CDM descriptions match Lawson Catalog.
- Fully understand the Lawson system & Monitors and research system capabilities for ongoing improvement/enhancement
possibilities to meet Materials Management and customer service.
- Review and update Material Management Workflows to best support the needs of the department.
- Provides support for issue/questions from PPMC Material Management to other system entities.
- Assist Manager with maintaining and developing policies and procedures as needed.
- Evaluates, test, implements system upgrades, enhancements and updates (patch) in Lawson.
- Monitor and maintain interfaces.
- Create reports in Crystal/Lawson
- Archiving of reports and data
- Develop reports to monitor and ensure accuracy of data coming in and out of Lawson.
- Monitors scheduled reports for completion according to scheduled specifications.
- Establishes and maintains positive rapport with all hospital departments and staff members.
- Compliance with all Infection Control.
- Complies with all departmental and hospital policies.
- Participates in activities related to Product Recall Committee and Supply Chain Huddle on a routine basis.
- Collaborates with departments to monitor and report on compliance of implemented changes in products.
- Monitors and reports hospital wide value analysis related cost reductions to administration and department managers and
corporate value analysis committee
- Reviews computer generated reports from the Materials Management system and Finance to determine products and/or
product lines that can be evaluated for product standardization.
- Reviews all purchasing contracts for product-standardization, evaluation and analysis.
- Compares departmental records and Materials Management system database to existing purchasing contracts for cost/price
- For management and department review and analysis, prepares cost/benefit price analysis reports for product or vendor
changes and comparative market analysis reports as requested by Director.
- Coordinates product related value analysis projects between administration and staff as the representative of
- Ensures that all trials and evaluations are unbiased and conducted in a professional manner.
- Prepares agenda and analysis of all products for monthly Value Analysis Committee meeting.
- Serves as a liaison to hospital on behalf of Administration in order to facilitate and support the Value Analysis Program &
- Attends and participates in hospital Value Analysis Program related activities.
- Leads the divisional value analysis effort constantly pursuing opportunities to increase the value of purchased goods and
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Bachelor’s degree (preferred) and a minimum of 3 years Materials Management experience required
(7 years Materials Management experience in lieu of educational requirements with the minimum educational requirement
being a high school diploma or GED.)
Materials Management experience should have emphasis on Storeroom and Cardiovascular Supplies.
Knowledge of Material Management concepts to include product knowledge, dynamic theories of supplies and vendor value
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE