Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Blood Bank Medical Lab Assistant IV- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 202171
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: To Be Determined
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is seeking a Full-Time Blook Bank Medical Lab Assistant IV to join their team:
Answers Telephone, receives samples, prepares blood components for transfusion, dispenses blood products, performs irradiation of blood products, performs confirmatory testing of red blood cells, and prepares aliquots of red cells for neonatal transfusion, manages inventory of blood products.
- Answers telephones, promptly and courteously; takes requests for blood products received and accurately records the same, provides accurate patient information regarding test results and blood product availability. Correctly prioritizes requests for blood products received and keeps technical staff informed accordingly. Correctly assess acceptability of specimens and requisitions received for testing; notifies the appropriate party when samples are found to be unacceptable for testing and documents action according to Blood Bank procedure.
- Rotates stock of perishable supplies to effect optimum utilization. Promptly alerts supervisory personnel of short supplies. Accurately selects filters and labels blood for transfusion to neonates, maintains accurate manual and computer records for modification and disposition.
- Properly assesses appropriate blood products for patient use, based on blood group compatibility, Blood Bank protocols, and patient’s special transfusion requirements to ensure patient safety. Selects, thaws, accurately labels and dispenses Frozen Plasma and cryoprecipitate; maintains accurate manual and computer records for modification and disposition.
- Correctly selects appropriate platelet products (HLA-matched, CMV Negative and/or irradiated); accurately labels and dispenses same, and maintains accurate manual and computer records for modification and disposition. Issues Rh Immune Globulin for patient use. Prepares blood components for organ transplants per protocol. Properly performs issue of blood products for patient use, ensuring compliance with all applicable SOPs and regulatory agency requirements.
- Takes receipt of blood products delivered from outside sources. Inspects blood products received from outside sources for acceptability, verifies receipt and correct documentation by receiving and signing accompanying documentation. Performs inventory entry of blood products received from outside sources, and quarantines products as required, until acceptability or testing can be completed.
- Performs ABO/Rh confirmation testing of all red cell products coming into inventory, demonstrates proper grading and documentation of serologic reactions. Performs irradiation of blood of blood products, when appropriate in accordance with prescribed procedure; maintains accurate records, both manual and computerized for modification.
- BLOOD INVENTORY MANAGEMENT: Daily, maintains accurate status of reserved blood products: Returns to inventory products reserved for OR, when appropriate; Returns to inventory blood with expired compatibility status; Releases from reservation and dispose of expired blood products; Updates manual and computer records to reflect status of products above; Performs other duties as assigned: willingness to adapt to changing department demands; Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends and holidays.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Some experience in blood banking (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE