Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Patient Care Tech- Cathcart 4 (Med Surg- Cardiology/Telemetry)- FT-Nights- Pennsylvania Hospital
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 203261
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Nights
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
4 Cathcart is a 41 bed medical-surgical unit that specializes in the care of patients with cardiac conditions and CHF. Many of the patients on are telemetry monitoring. The nurses are also responsible for caring for patient’s post- cardiac catheterization and some cardiac drips.
- Delivers patient care that is patient and family centered. Incorporates team focused, collegial relationships to ensure patient safety and improve outcomes. Maintains organizational competencies of superior quality care, critical thinking and interpersonal skills. Demonstrates accountability to the patient, family, self and the healthcare team. Provides superior quality care and assumes responsibility and accountability for their role in performance outcomes while supporting PAH's Relationship Based Care Model. Reports directly to the Registered Nurse.
- Customer Service: Answers call bell- intercom system Responsible for the 4P’s program of Pain, Positioning, Potty and Perimeter. Performed and measured by hourly rounding Responsible for all aspects of care, which involve the patient environment. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: room setup for patient admission, removing of patient care items upon discharge, and general room cleanliness Performs AM care/ PM care as instructed. AM/PM care includes but is not limited to complete/partial and set up bath, mouth/ denture care, hair grooming, facial shave Prepare patient and belongings for discharge Assist patient will all aspects of dietary necessities as follows: Set up meal trays, assists patient with feeding and/ or perform complete patient feed. Perform calorie counts, maintain Aspiration precautions. When applicable, ensure all patients have fresh water pitcher at their bedside. All patients are consistently addressed appropriately by preferred name unless patient has verbally specified another form of address. Will appropriately introduce self and role in care Respects patient need for privacy, as appropriate, and maintains a quiet environment and low noise levels Demonstrates ability to prioritize multiple patient and/ or family requestsClinical: Monitors vital signs for assigned patients and immediately reports abnormalities Obtains and documents Blood sugar by properly utilizing blood glucose equipment. Immediately reports out of range results Performs all unit based point of care testing Documents intake and output on all patients as indicated. Intake will include all oral intake. Output may include drainage as urine, stool and/ or emesis via catheters, NGT/ Salem sump, hemovac, or Jackson Pratt. Obtaining and documenting patient weight by using standing/ bed scales Reports skin breakdown Performs Phlebotomy Performs 12 lead EKG Performs post mortem careSafety: Calls CRT/ responds during emergency (Fire/safety) Performs proper care of products: air mattress, teds, A pumps/ foot pumps Promote patient safety: Maintaining fall precautions, applying wrist restraints, applying vest restraints, providing continuous observation per policy Performs safe patient transfers utilizing proper ergonomics. Transfers include bed to chair, bed to wheelchair, bed to stretcher and unit to unit. Transfers include to and from Adheres to appropriate Invasive Line Safety (IV’s, ventilators, arterial lines, central lines, chest tubes, all other drainage tubes Disposes of biohazard (bloody material) in red trash cansTeamwork Stocks rooms and / or supply carts/ areas Receives report on each assigned patient at the start of each shift Reports off to Registered Nurse, on each assigned patient prior to breaks and the end of each shift Consistently follows all expectations associated with Pennsylvania Hospital’s Standards for Service Excellence Consistently demonstrate the four basic characteristics for the foundation of a healthy team: Trust, Mutual respect, Consistent and visible support, open and honest communication Will respectfully and professionally address team members who are negatively affecting teamwork ensuring patient has best possible experience Completion of the following competencies include but, may not be limited to below: o BCLS o Knowledge Link o Population specific competency o Cultural competency o Chest tube competency o Skills fair Additional unit competencies as determined by the Nursing Education Department or Nurse Manager
- Certified Nurse Aid (Required)
- CNA Certification by the State of Pennsylvania or RN without a BSN Degree.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE