This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 203117
Category: Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: per diem
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
General Summary Statement
In collaboration with the supervising physician, the Nurse Practitioner is responsible for applying advanced nurse practice skills in the Pre Admission Testing department for patients undergoing surgery/procedure through the Ambulatory Care Center. This position requires expert communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary health team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Perform and record complete history and physical exam competency
8. Performs and documents Pre-Anesthesia Interview and home med list per policy and procedure.
9. Addresses patient’s concerns including providing comfort and support for pre-operative patients by demonstrating sensitivity to patient care and privacy.
10. Answers patient’s questions regarding pre-operative care, understanding of surgical procedures and regarding post-operative care.
11. Uses knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patient.
12. Assesses the patient for change in status and institutes appropriate interventions. Initiates necessary emergency interventions to stabilize the patient.
13. Timely dictation of the history and physical examination performed in the Pre Admission Testing area or Ambulatory Care Center to insure its availability the day of surgery.
14. Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research.
15. Serves as a clinical expert and leadership consultant to nursing and members of the healthcare team.
16. Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance and regulatory activities of the organization.
17. Participates in the orientation/preceptor process of new staff members when requested and completes documentation.
18. Utilizes critical thinking skills with a clear understanding of systems and change process.
Review of Surgery/Procedure Charts
Phlebotomy and EKG
1. Correctly identifies patient, enters orders and draws lab work in Pre Admission Testing as needed, to assist nursing and phlebotomy staff.
2. Correctly identifies patient, enters orders and performs EKG in Pre Admission Testing as needed, to assist nursing staff.
3. Has all abnormal EKG’s reviewed by Anesthesia the day of Pre Admission Testing to ensure timely management.
Education Training and Experience
Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) is required.
Minimum of one year surgical experience preferred
Current Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of Pennsylvania
Current Licensure as a Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner in the state of Pennsylvania
Current Basic Life Support (BLS)
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.