Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Ophthalmic Technician I
Job ID: 202785
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Per Departmental Needs
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Entity: Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania
Location: Penn Presbyterian Medical Center- 51 N 39th Street
Hours: Per Departmental Needs
- The Ophthalmic Technician exhibits UPHS organizational behavioral competencies which reflect its mission and are embedded in the professional practice competency domains.
- The Ophthalmic Technician is accountable for the provision of direct care to patients, who range in age from infancy to the elderly, and demonstrates care within the competency domains of Continuous Quality Improvement, Person and family centered care, Professionalism, Safety, Teamwork, and Technology.
- The Ophthalmic Technician works closely with the inter-professional health care team to facilitate the coordination of care across the continuum. The Ophthalmic Technician focuses on developing knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care based on physical, cultural, educational, safety and age appropriate considerations of the patient.
- The Ophthalmic Technician's practices impacts the organization's vision, mission, goals, and the care delivery system. The Ophthalmic Technician complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- The Ophthalmic Technician assist the Ophthalmologist with direct patient care. Completes patient medical and ocular history.
- The Ophthalmic Technician must complete all assigned competencies and become certified within 12 months of hire.
- Completes medical and ocular history on all patients.
- Completes chief complaint and allergies on all patients.
- Completes health screening questions including falls, abuse, depression screening.
- Documents all medications on all patients.
- Completion of surgical, all procedures, and pre-cert insurance forms when required.
- Schedule MRI’s and retrieve reports if applicable.
- Collaborate with pharmacies to ensure patient Rx’s are filled.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the department, entity and health system organization.
- CPR from the American Heart Association preferred
- COA (Certified Ophthalmic Assistant) COT (Certified Ophthalmic Technician), OR COMT (Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist) certifications preferred
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED required
- Associate's degree preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE