Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Phlebotomist Laboratory Assistant II
Job ID: 205649
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: PT -19 HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- A Phlebotomist Laboratory Assistant II is an individual trained on-the-job or through a structured Phlebotomy program to draw blood for diagnostic testing from patients aged infant through older adult. The Phlebotomist Laboratory Assistant also processes a variety of clinical specimens for diagnostic laboratory testing and accesses associated patient records. (HUP - Phlebotomy Inpatient - 3400 Spruce Street)
- Correctly identifies the stage of growth of development of patients and significant others; Utilizes knowledge of growth and development when communicating to various age groups; Explains appropriate information according to age and developmental level of patients and visitors; Identifies communication barriers and intervenes appropriately; Recognizes cultural differences and the need to adjust communication styles and behaviors to meet the needs of the patient (e.g. direct eye contact, touching with transferring); Listens to patient's queries, comments and/or concerns and provides appropriate information and responses; Introduces self when interacting with patients, families, visitors or other employees.
- Entry of (release of) patient demographics, test orders, billing information into a variety of computer systems (EMR/LIS); Follows established SOP and age-specific techniques for the collection of biological specimens for analysis and evaluates and solves problems related to that process; Correctly identifies outpatients and inpatients according to approved protocols with 100% accuracy; Performs accurate venipuncture and micro (capillary) techniques in sample collection; May perform specialized collection to include breath alcohol testing, hair collection, and EKGs.
- Properly labels specimens with 100% accuracy; Draws all timed/scheduled samples in a timely manner; Observes emotional and physical state of patient for any adverse reactions to phlebotomy; Performs assigned patient-sample processing activities.
- Follows established SOP for the processing of biological specimens for analysis and evaluates and solves problems related to that process; Operates the pneumatic tube system properly and observes all Infection Control policies while handling specimens; Provides timely distribution of specimens to appropriate laboratory sections; Maintains accurate and orderly log records and/or worksheets where required according to SOP’s.
- Maintains a safe and orderly work area; Demonstrates safe work practices; Keeps work area free from personal documents & items; Answers phone in a professional, courteous, and timely manner; speaking to caller in a caring manner; Answers questions or refers callers to the appropriate source; Avoids putting caller on hold or transferring call unnecessarily.
- Researches phone inquiries regarding specimen collection or test results by referencing available manuals and records and calls caller back promptly; Understands collection requirements for special or referral testing, prepares specimens, ensures integrity and correctness of sample, and arranges for dispatch and pick-up of specimens; Keeps current with laboratory minutes and documented changes.
- Maintains inventory of equipment and supplies and appropriately communicates need to re-order before supplies run out; Assists with the instruction of procedures and techniques to other employees and students; Performs daily temperature checks on rooms, refrigerators, freezers, incubators and preventive maintenance on centrifuges as needed.
- Projects an image of professionalism in appearance and conduct at all times; Works well with peers and those in authority; Works to promote the Penn Medicine BE standards; Promotes patient and staff relations and displays pride in work; Complies with Hospital, Laboratory, Safety, and HIPAA regulations; Notifies Supervisor or Safety Officer of hazards when found; Completes annual mandatories on or before the due date; Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Certification as a PBT or MLA by a minimum knowledge-based exam such as the Board of Certification PBT(ASCP) or MLA(ASCP).
- Certified individuals will be hired as Phlebotomist Laboratory Assistant II
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Phlebotomy training and experience in an outpatient or hospital setting preferred.
- Prior experience in hospital laboratory receiving area preferred.
- Prior experience with the Laboratory Information System preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE