Job ID: 206137
Work Type: PT -19 HOURS
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 3:00pm-11:30pm
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
General Summary Statement
The candidate performs phlebotomy on both inpatients and outpatients. Outpatient duties may include assignment to one of our outpatient satellite laboratories. All outpatient staff are responsible for order entry of Laboratory orders. Inpatient phlebotomy includes, morning rounds, beeper phlebotomy, and other duties as assigned. Employee may be asked to perform duties deemed necessary by supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Communicates patient information accurately, completely and in a timely manner.
2. Correctly identifies outpatients and inpatients according to approved protocols with 100%
accuracy. Properly labels specimens with 100% accuracy.
Accurately processes both blood and non-blood specimens: checks specimen type for
appropriateness and proper labeling.
Reviews all outpatient orders and accurately perform order entry in the outpatient setting and
assure tests are properly collected.
3. Draws all timed/ scheduled samples in a timely manner. Returns stat inpatient specimens to
the laboratory within 10 minutes of collection. Sends morning rounds specimens in pneumatic
tube as soon as possible.
Perform morning laboratory rounds as assigned by the supervisor and stays on the floors until
rounds are completed or properly relieved.
Delivers specimens to appropriate sections without delay
4. Demonstrates proficiency with a variety of collection techniques: venipuncture and capillary
blood. Properly prepares patient before and after collection; explains procedures in a
courteous and professional manner, makes patient feel at ease, prepares site, executes proper
Masters the use of the Collection Manager devices along with generating collection lists, labels and unreceived specimen lists, and any other report necessary to ensure proper collection of patient specimens.
Performs specimen receipt on all specimens.
Operates centrifuges and aliquots specimens as indicated without delay.
Produce copies of records/results for patients with valid release documentation.
5. Accepts constructive feedback about performance or behaviors and shows evidence of change.
Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for actions.
6. Demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving and knows when to seek appropriate
7. Familiarity with Laboratory Exposure Control Plan which includes the Chemical Hygiene
Plan, Hazard Communication Program and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen standard and applies
standard precautions to work practices and knows how to appropriately deal with chemical or
Demonstrates safe practices in the performance of assigned job duties.
Reports any unsafe practices or conditions to appropriate responsible parties.
8. Offers to help other employees by providing assistance when needed
9. Performs as a team player – displays consideration for the needs of others and work
10. Open to change and different approaches to work.
Recommends new approaches to solving operational problems, issues or concerns
Education Training and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent. 1+ years of phlebotomy experience preferred.
Phlebotomy Certification required.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.