Job ID: 202062
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: per diem
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center is looking for a Discharge Planning RN Case Manager Penn Medicine.
At Penn Presbyterian, we provide excellent care and service to our patients. When a patient is under our care, we make sure that they feel well-informed about their stay and are equipped to care for themselves when they leave. As a Discharge Planning RN – Case Manager, you play a key part in ensuring that our patients achieve expected outcomes. In this impactful role, you are responsible for coordinating a multidisciplinary plan of care by collaborating with the health care team to streamline patient care and identify system barriers. This position is located onsite at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center PPMC in Philadelphia.
Responsible for the coordination of a multidisciplinary plan of care ensuring the delivery of quality patient care that facilitates discharge and expected outcomes, utilizing appropriate and cost-effective strategies. Collaborates with health care team to streamline patient care. Identify system barriers to cost effective quality care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Communication Competencies
1. Communicates patient needs to medical staff, nursing staff, Case Management team and payers, as appropriate
2. Communicates patient needs with attention to detail to service providers to ensure safe level of care and appropriate resources after discharge.
3. Communicates with medical staff regarding case management issues as they occur and document accordingly.
4. Communicates with ancillary departments to: negotiate accelerated test scheduling, receive results not yet available on medical record or ensure interaction with patient as ordered by physician.
5. Relays identified risk, infection control or patient concern issues to Risk Manager, Infection Control Practitioner, or Customer Service Coordinator as appropriate.
1. Discusses the plan of care and targeted length of stay with the multidisciplinary team, patients, and family at the time of admission.
2. Explores strategies to reduce the length of stay and resource consumption.
3. Serves as a patient advocate with the health care team, insurance companies, and outside agencies.
4. Collaborates with primary nurses to identify plans to maintain streamlined patient care.
5. Participates in the daily discharge rapid rounds (multidisciplinary team meetings) coming prepared with essential information.
6. Identifies a plan with the Case Management Director and/or Team Lead to address system opportunities and participates in that plan.
Discharge Planning Competencies
1. Interviews and collaborates with patient/family to assess aftercare options providing guidance information and support in decision making.
2. Develops alternative discharge plans and coordinates with Team Leader, peers, and/or Social Worker as needed to facilitate resolution of problem dispositions or difficult patients/families.
3. Facilitates and monitors the discharge plans and arrangements for assigned patients.
4. Works with patients and their families to help them understand the impact their illness may have on their lifestyle, family, relationships and home situation.
5. Coordinates individual patient care conferences when deemed necessary, including appropriate inpatient and outpatient personnel/agencies.
6. Develops a discharge plan in a timely manner to maintain lowest cost to the hospital, while ensuring a comprehensive quality plan.
7. Procures signature on second Medicare Important Message (IMM) form for assigned patients as required by CMS 48 hours prior to discharge.
1. Records all patient/family activity, interaction or intervention related to discharge planning in the electronic medical record.
2. Documents action taken related to discharge planning within same day of interaction with patient/family and/or physician.
Please apply if you possess these qualifications:
• Knowledge of Inter Qual Acute Care Preferred – Training will be provided for candidates with a strong clinical background
• 3-5 years of acute care experience preferred • Prior utilization management and/or discharge planning or relevant experience is a plus.
• Must have demonstrated excellent communication skills with proven ability to negotiate and collaborate with others.
• Ability to be flexible, organize, prioritize and remain calm in stressful situations.
• Understands the complexity of the health care system and is able to apply theory with practice.
• Must have good computer skills. Licensure/Certification A Pennsylvania licensed Registered Nurse and BSN required Case Management experience and Case Management Certification preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.