Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
5 Cathcart is a 46 bed medical surgical nursing unit providing superior care to adult acute care patients. Our clinicians use Modified Primary Care Nursing as our care delivery model to provide the highest quality of care. Our physicians, nurses, and patient care techs, are experts in caring for patients with a variety of diagnoses including but not limited to Sickle Cell Anemia, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Congestive Heart Failure and Chronic Renal Failure. We are also well versed in working with the Transfusion-Free Medicine Team to provide care to their patients. In addition, we are experts in providing symptomatic management for oncology patients. Our niche is providing care to patients with multi co-morbid conditions. We use a holistic multidisciplinary approach, functioning within the Relationship Based Care Professional Practice Model. This professional practice model allows us to care for our patients the same way we would want to be cared for-where the patient is a valued integral part of the healthcare team.
- Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) will collaborate with nurse managers, service line coordinators, clinical operations nurse specialists, staff, and additional pertinent key stakeholders on a daily basis. ANM will share responsibility in staffing, timecards, scheduling, evaluation of staff performance, and assure that staff meets necessary competencies in order to comply with state regulations and hospital policies. Aligning operating room goals with the strategic plan of UPHS.
- Supports the Nurse Manager(s) in establishing/updating processes and work practices for the department. Practices and processes based on the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) Six Aims for Improvement: Safe, Effective, Patient-Centered, Timely, Efficient, and Equitable.
- Support patient flow to assure safe and timely placement of patients (facilitate OR schedule, identify key stakeholders). Ensure appropriate follow-up of major issues.
- Supports the unit staffing needs when necessary. Collaborates with Nurse Manager(s) and Coordinators to assure proper staffing on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- In collaboration with Nurse Manager(s), work with staff to develop action plans. Implement and follow through with action plans. Communicates roles, accountabilities, and performance measures to all staff.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local regulatory standards and requirements, including JCAHO, Department of Health, funding agencies, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, and others.
- Demonstrates understanding of Magnet standards and aligns organization to meet them. Supports Magnet and Shared Governance initiatives and principles of inclusion.
- Development of staff: encouraging continuous growth and helps staff to realize full potential by identifying stretch objectives and creating learning plans.
- Effectively manages and efficiently uses all resources. Adheres to establishing policies and procedures. Effectively communicates and ensures understanding of UPHS’ mission, vision, values.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing required. A minimum of three years of progressive nursing experience with demonstrated leadership skills. Experience in Medical-Surgical care preferred!
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.