Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director of Perioperative Services EVS/Transport at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 207792
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: M-F
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- This position provides operational and organizational leadership to multiple Non-nursing clinical departments in PeriOperative Services. He/ she ensures consistent application of policies, procedures, and practices across the various departments in PeriOperative Services. Including: HUP PeriOp - 56 OR's s, 3 Labor and Delivery OR's, PreOp/PACU (150 bays), Ground White (10 rooms), Instrument Processing and Scope Processing, Perelman Surgi Centre - 8 OR's Pre and Post Op Units, Instrument Processing Perelman Endoscopy Center - IO procedure rooms, Pre and Post op Units - Scope Processing. The director is responsible for facilitating OR flow which supports physician productivity and helps to generate over $500 million to HUP's NPR. This position also has responsibility for PeriOp non clinical departments and initiatives.This position is responsible for the strategic direction, development and implementation of Perioperative Services programs and processes within HUP PeriOp Services. Provides leadership and direction for all projects targeting the improvement and operations of perioperative services with the goal of improving clinical outcomes and patient safety, providing a safe workplace environment, and reducing cost. The position will have a straight line reporting relationship to the Perioperative CAO and Perioperative Executive Director. This position oversees multiple areas for HUP Perioperative Services in collaboration with the CAO. He/she leads efforts towards a High Reliability Organization to build commitment for patient safety and the delivery of high, quality care. He/she provides leadership to ensure compliance and alignment with regulatory standards. This position is responsible for the infrastructure support associated with planned and unplanned surveys and ensuring a state of perpetual readiness. In addition to providing oversight of all regulatory activities, he/she is responsible for overseeing the development of strategic plans to ensure continuous readiness. This position establishes Interprofessional Partnerships in order to provide patient care excellence throughout HUP Perioperative Services that fosters a culture of engagement, collaboration and shared accountability.This position provides technical and financial operational leadership toward fulfilling the UPHS mission in delivery of world-class patient care while supporting the University's education and research mission. This includes collaborating with periop leadership in developing short and long range strategic, operating and financial plans to accomplish the UPHS mission within PeriOperative Services. He / she collaborates for the development and management of a $69M Perioperative Services operating budget. He / she provides oversight in the monthly expense management and reporting as well as the annual physical inventory. This position creates a patient and customer focused organization throughout PeriOperative Services designed to support the delivery of highest quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care; continually develops the UPHS brand; and ensures the financial health and long-term sustainability of PeriOperative Services.
- Employee Engagement: Regularly meets with key stakeholders to improve communication and to build productive relationships. Regularly meets with teams to enhance communication and collaboration. Continuously communicates regulatory initiatives and readiness efforts for improving performance in meeting and exceeding expectations. Designs and implements systematic and consistent regulatory processes. Develops and supports an environment of regulatory readiness and vigilance.Employee Engagement: Regularly meets with key stakeholders to improve communication and to build productive relationships. Regularly meets with teams to enhance communication and collaboration. Continuously communicates regulatory initiatives and readiness efforts for improving performance in meeting and exceeding expectations. Designs and implements systematic and consistent regulatory processes. Develops and supports an environment of regulatory readiness and vigilance.Internal Partnerships: Works with Perioperative Services executive team in developing programs, services and initiatives to become a High Reliability Organization. Sets standards and drives operational integration of regulatory efforts by ensuring alignment across teams, environments and entities.Establish/update processes and work practices for regulatory compliance: Manage and eliminate process workarounds by appropriately and consistently sharing with organizational partners the issues, which require their attention. Analyze the data regularly to identify opportunities for improvement. Share data with teams and mutually identify opportunities for improvement within the department’s span of influence. Collaborate with teams to develop action plans for improvement. Implement and follow through with action plan.Manage team and individual performance in alignment with the UPHS vision of service excellence: Drive loyalty by ensuring staff understand the UPHS commitment to service, their own work processes, and have the necessary skills to meet regulatory standards through education, support and surveillance. Focus energies on collaborating in problem resolution rather than finding blame. Ensure that teams understand regulatory standards.External Relationships 1.Understands the needs and expectations of patients, referring physicians, faculty and staff of UPHS and other affiliates2.Ensures patient and customer satisfaction through comprehensive and continuous measurement of customer satisfaction for all key customer groups.3.Participates in industry benchmarking as appropriate.4.Works collaboratively with PeriOp departmental and clinical leadership throughout all UPHS entities Clinical Departments:This position works with the department managers and directors to plan, develop, implement and direct the daily operations of the following PeriOperative non-nursing Clinical departments:Anesthesia Technicians - support of patients receiving all types of anesthesia in all settings at HUP and Perelman Center. Provides support to anesthesia attendings, fellows. residents and CRNA's.Radiation technologists - specialized group that provides support to complex angiographic interventional surgical procedures. Responsible for ensuring safety of patients and employees relative to radiation exposure. Also responsible for proper use of multimillion dollar interventional operative suites.Neuromonitoring- specialized clinical group that provides specific intraoperative monitoring for complex surgical procedures.Perfusion - acts as the liaison for PeriOperative Services with the perfusion group. Works with chief perfusionist and administrator to provide ongoing. routine communication of all polices. practices and information relative to the department. Non clinical Support Departments:Surgical Support and Transport- transportation of patients and objects to and from the clinical and non-clinical departments; between case cleaning and terminal cleaning. Stocking of all supplies necessary for room turnover, scrubbing, personal protective attire, etc. Assist in direct patient care in all areas, i.e., positioning patients, set-up of specialized OR table equipment, pre-op check-in and post-op ambulation of patients, etc.Technical Supervisors - 24/7 on site supervisory oversight of all PeriOperative support departments. This group provides leadership, direction and acts as a technical resource for all PeriOp staff.PeriOperative Communications - oversees internal and external communications for PeriOperative Services. Includes newsletter, digital signs, information updates, weekly construction and facilities activities etc. Works with UPHS departments for external communication relative to HUP PeriOperative Services.Summary of Additional Accountabilities: Financial Management:Directs the efficient and effective management of equipment and supplies across Clinical Support groupsReviews monthly financial reports with managers/ supervisors and directors to monitor supply usage and FTE numbers and account for variances.Works with finance colleagues to make changes to monthly financial reports as needed and to explain variances.Assists with the preparation of the annual operating budget ($69M) for PeriOperative Services.Works with managers and supervisors to: Monitor fte's/ vacancies/ payrollAchieve desired FTE productivity metricsAchieve optimal use of staff to meet clinical support requirements Represents PeriOperative Non-Nursing Clinical Support Services in various meetings and committees- at the department, entity and system level. Provides leadership and direction to the Directors/ Managers and Supervisors of these clinical support departments. Recruits, hires, terminates and conducts performance management for direct reports of these Departments. PeriOperative Construction - acts as point person for multiple construction projects for PeriOperative Services, including Silverstein OR's, South Pavilion Expansion - 3rd and 4th floor, Patient Receiving Area (face of PeriOp), and Hybrid OR PeriOperative Quality and Process Improvement - responsible for active membership in Quality committee. Will assume responsibility to lead process improvement initiatives with multi-disciplinary groups. Will act as mentor for PIIA process. PeriOperative Executive Leadership group - responsible for active participation in leadership group. Includes thoughtful decision making and implementation and execution of policy and practice changes. OR Committee - contributing member of OR Committee for clinical departments and non-clinical initiatives
- Strategic Planning Processes:
- Develops standardized communication plan that is aligned with the organization-wide vision
- Recognizes and acts on opportunities to advance the organization’s regulatory compliance
- Develops and implements work plans with actionable components and measurable outcomes
- Proactively monitors regulatory performance
- Change Management
- Proactively develops change management strategy for major organizational activities and events
- Implements change management strategy in alignment with UPHS objectives
- .Identifies and facilitates agreement of major messages which are consistent regardless of audience, credible and reflects UPHS’ core values
- Communication plans are effectively implemented
- Ensure appropriate follow-up of major issues
- Manage routine and crisis communications throughout the entity/community as they arise
- Demonstrates recognition of the systemic impact of employee communication and/or policy changes and solicits proactive feedback prior to implementation.
- Evaluates effectiveness of change and implementation plans.
- Cultivates a strategic program of regulatory compliance
- Leverages the expertise and knowledge of internal and external regulatory experts.
- Leads and influences all staff to consistently practice regulatory standards.
- Creates, manages, analyzes, and presents data from regulatory efforts.
- Disseminates regulatory findings through standardized communication plans.
- Strategically integrates regulatory compliance with HUP and Penn Medicine goals and initiatives.
- Creates a regulatory culture through engagement, vigilance and support for all employees.
- Promotes shared accountability
- Evaluates effectiveness of regulatory integrated initiatives.
- Engages with staff in all roles and scopes of practice to promote a culture of regulatory compliance
- Participates in the development of innovative programs/ strategies to educate staff and leaders about regulatory standards and practices.
- Consults with and advises staff around aspects of regulatory compliance.
- Mentors, supports and coaches staff in aligning daily practice with regulatory standards and behaviors.
- Partners with and guides staff in all steps of the regulatory process
- Supports a creative learning platform for frontline staff
- Establish/update processes and work practices for the unit/department.
- Build work practices and team processes based on the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) Six Aims for Improvement:
- Safe: avoid injuries to patients form the care that is intended to help them.
- Effective: provide services based on scientific knowledge.
- Patient-Centered: provide care that is responsible to individual patient preferences, needs and values and assuring that patient values guide all clinical decisions.
- Timely: reduce waits and sometimes-harmful delays for both those who receive care and those who give care.
- Efficient: avoid waste, including waste of equipment, supplies, ideas, and energy.
- Equitable: provide care that does not vary in quality because of personal characteristics such as gender, ethnicity, geographic location or socio-economic status. In conjunction with all stakeholders involved in regulatory processes, institute operational changes based on data. Communicate, reinforce, and update as necessary environment of care procedures, (e.g. safety, security, hazardous materials, emergency, medical equipment, and utility management.) Continuously improve unit/department operations to maintain and exceed internal/external regulatory compliance and achieve clinical excellence. Participates in and supports research safety goals and initiatives (FMEA,RCA)Regulatory Compliance: Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local regulatory standards and requirements, including JCAHO, Department of Health, funding agencies, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW and others. Support all specialty surveys (transplant, heart failure, stroke) affecting Perioperative Services and the Offsite Interventional Support CenterIdentify the regulatory requirements for the patient populations served (neonate, child, adolescent, young adult, middle adult and older adult)Core ValuesProactively shares information and trends.Demonstrates fair and appropriate due process in actions and decisions.Recognizes risk taking and promotes it in others.Exhibits an openness to change and promotes it in others.Demonstrates personal ownership for UPHS decisions.Ensures confidentiality. Creates a work environment that attracts and retains key talent.Facilitates the identification of common goals.
- Treats people respectfully.
- Effectively manages and efficiently uses all resources.
- Is open to and respects differences, ideas, and suggestions.
- Does not participate in non-productive activities of conversations.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships and partnerships.
- Adheres to established policies and procedures.
- Always seeks clarity to ensure understanding, keeps work processes reasonable and simple, and balances priorities.
- Effectively communicates and ensures understanding of UPHS’ mission, vision, and values.
- Makes and keeps commitments.
- Meet deadlines and is responsive to requests.
- Exemplifies in his/her action principles of collegiality and collaboration at all times.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
Education Specialization: Business, Nursing and/or Health Care
- Master of Arts or Science (Preferred)
Education Specialization: Business, Nursing and/or Health Care
- 10+ years Leadership experience in an academic health care setting
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE