Job ID: 206630
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: M-F
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Nurse Manager for Perioperative Operations provides operational and organizational leadership to the Operating Room Clinical Coordinator Group. This Clinical Coordinator group are RNs who function as the “air traffic control” for
56 Operating Rooms. He/She/They facilitate safe patient flow and efficient/appropriate patient placements. As their manager, this individual works closely with the Clinical Coordinators to leverage and enhance our Epic communication tools. This Nurse Manager participates in the HUP OR Scheduling and Periop Safety check-ins. He/she identifies, problem-solves, communicates and delegates to facilitate patient flow and timely OR starts.
He/she directs, supervises, evaluates and supports patient care activities; serves as a resource to staff nurses and other department(s) personnel on clinical practice and is a resource for implementation/ interpretation of hospital and nursing policies and procedures. Responsible for overseeing daily safety tasks and checklists for the department. He/she promotes excellence in departmental programs/projects and supports ongoing educational activities.
In addition to the Clinical Coordinators, this Nurse Manager’s scope includes the four Reception Areas, where our focus is on providing an exceptional patient experience and communication.
The candidate will have at least 5 years of OR Nurse experience, with at least 2 of those years functioning as the Clinical Coordinator or equivalent, i.e. “OR Charge RN or OR Board Runner” in a large Operating Room.
Assumes 24 hour accountability for the operation of the designated patient care unit (s). This includes the provision of leadership to improve patient care, enhance professional development and achieve nursing goals.
• Recruitment of competent staff to meet operational needs (“scope of service” “products & services”) and who
demonstrate the ability to be service orientation and align with the core values
• On-Boarding- proper orientation of staff to their roles, accountabilities, and performance measures within probationary
• Regularly meets with employees to improve communication and to build productive relationships.
• Continuously communicates to staff the importance of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and sound financial
performance; and champions our successes and priorities for improving performance in meeting and exceeding patient and customer expectations.
• Works with UPHS leadership, clinical leadership, and Entity leadership in developing programs, services and initiatives to anticipate future customer needs, build customer loyalty and generate profitable growth.
Establish/update processes and work practices for the unit/department:
• Manage and eliminate process workarounds by appropriately and consistently sharing with organizational partners the issues, which require their attention.
Manage team and individual performance in alignment with the UPHS vision of service excellence:
• Drive patient/client loyalty and physician referral by ensuring staff under your supervision understand the UPHS
commitment to service, their own work processes, and have the necessary skills to meet service expectations.
• Focus energies on collaborating in problem resolution rather than finding blame.
• Proactively develops change management strategy for major organizational activities and events
• Implements change management strategy within Nursing and UPHS in alignment with UPHS objectives.
• Identifies and facilitates agreement of major messages which are consistent regardless of audience, credible and reflects UPHS’ core values
• Talent management plan in place for current and future staff
• Succession plan in place for critical positions
• Employee retention strategy in place
• Employee survey implementation and action planning
• Develop understanding of Revenue & Reimbursement in HealthCare
• Develop budget for individual AU/Dept based on assumptions and decisions made by UPHS and Dept Leaders
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.